Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New playmate for the wakos in the House

New playmate for the wakos in the House

George Santos, Representative elect from Long Island, has a problem-----he is a liar at the djt scale of liar.

But his problem will likely not prevent him from being sworn in
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

He actually lied during a political campaign? Unheard of......
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Well, you expect politicians to lie, but not about nearly everything about themselves. He seems to made his background up out of whole cloth.

And I for one expect a better explanation when called out. For example, Santos says he never claimed he was Jewish. He said that he was "Jew-ish", or "kind of, sorta like being actually Jewish". He's never going to get anywhere in Congress if he doesn't learn to lie better than that! Put your back into it, man!

The county Republican chairman says he is ashamed of Santos so his own party isn't offering any cover. None of this will keep him from being sworn in but one has to wonder what an oath means to someone like Santos.

His fellow Republicans are distancing themselves pretty quickly.

“House Republicans like me are eager to be sworn in and focus on our Commitment to America and our respective districts,” LaLota said in the statement. “Yet, over the last few weeks I have heard from countless Long Islanders how deeply troubled they are by the headlines surrounding George Santos.”

“As a Navy man who campaigned on restoring accountability and integrity to our government, I believe a full investigation by the House Ethics Committee and, if necessary, law enforcement, is required,” LaLota added. “New Yorkers deserve the truth and House Republicans deserve an opportunity to govern without this distraction.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3...n-into-santos/

His opponents calling for a new election
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    His opponents calling for a new election
    Of course he is, it's the latest fad among losers.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I'd like to see the people in his district start a recall movement---he scammed them big time. Voters need to take this kind of thing seriously---not simply brush it off.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Kevin I agree with what you stated in principal. However I think widespread deceit is common in politics these days. I have seen them lie about their service in the armed services, I've seen them lie about their income taxes, I've seen them lie about how they're using their campaign funds, hell I've even seen them lie about where they live. So to your point that he told a whole cloth of lies, that may be true, but I don't think it's prudent to start labeling people as better or worse for how many lies they told or how big a lie they told. Politics is a rotten dirty game and we are the victims of our own demise. While it appears the thread could have started on a partisan basis, it seems to me that neither party have any franchise on deceit.

This guy is no garden variety liar---he is full bore. Even his name is in doubt, as is his residence. This is not something to be made light of. If the House leadership ignores this jerk---shame on them and they send a clear picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    This guy is no garden variety liar---he is full bore. Even his name is in doubt, as is his residence. This is not something to be made light of. If the House leadership ignores this jerk---shame on them and they send a clear picture.
    Then he and Adam Shiff should get along well in Congress.

You are absolutely correct, though, in the main point you are making - there are plenty of people, many who have done worse, serving in Congress. Being Catholic, I was raised on differentiating levels of sin, with some sins worse than others, so I do see differences in politicians based on how far they transgress.

For Santos, he lied about his background. Made it up out of whole cloth. To me, that's an issue for the people of his district to solve. They can try to recall him or turn him out at the next election. His transgression was against them specifically and as such, his sins are less, in my mind than say an Adam Schiff.

I was angered by Schiff when he kept running to the press to say "Oh, boy, you just wait, there's some juicy stuff on Trump coming" and dropping hints about having evidence of treason, for goodness sakes. This is a sin against the entire system - Schiff was trying to prevent a duly elected President from being able to govern. I am no supporter of Trump but whatever one thinks about him, he got elected and at that point, deserves the opportunity to govern. Monkey wrenching by ginning up rumors, using the investigative apparatus of Congress to try to further a party's goals instead of playing it straight - these are sins against all of us. Adam Schiff's sins were worse than Santos's puffery and fabrications, which were only about himself.

Politics is a dirty business but I know there are good people there as well. I just wish that people running for election understood the trust they are being given and act for our benefit, not their own.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Not defending the knucklehead but..

People have been embellishing their resumes forever.. it’s just easier to get caught now (internet)..

In the early 90s my work group attend a series of classes and were awarded a “Masters Certificate “ (project management).. a coworker left and went to work as a political appointee and his resume (on state website) now showed a Masters Degree..

Also had an aunt who wanted to become an officer during WWII, all of a sudden she has a bachelors degree (from Brown, wonder if she had ever been to Rhode Island?). She retired from the reserves as a Colonel (it worked)

Just saying..

I don't even lie to girls anymore...The truth is too obvious to even bother these days......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

George Santos Is the Low-Rent Con Artist the Modern GOP Deserves.

The Republican candidates this era has produced—Herschel Walker (a pretend cop), Kari Lake (a pretend populist), and now Santos (a pretend everything)—are indicative of a party that only pretends it wants to govern.

In this regard, Santos is the huckster that the GOP deserves.

At least a fellow Republican congressman from long Island who is a Navy vet has called for an ethics investigation of Santos, and possibly a criminal one.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"