Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New playmate for the wakos in the House

Nice hit piece.....
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    ........People have been embellishing their resumes forever.. it’s just easier to get caught now (internet)..
    And they often get fired when caught, even after years of being a good employee. I've never quite understood that.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

To be sure----this went far beyond "embellishment"---this went to total fabrication. There seems to be nothing in his bio that is true. This boy is sick and needs help, which he is not going to find where he is going.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Wonder why the media in his area didn't catch this and expose him. If they had given 10% of the effort they gave to dig up every piece of rotten dirt they could on Walker in Georgia they could have easily found out about this guy.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Another incoming NY Republican Representative-Elect is calling for answers at the least. And the county DA is investigating.

There was an article in the NYT about how opposition research is conducted and how it likely happened in this specific case. It was written by someone who was once in charge of doing it for the Dems. What I took away from it was how much effort it takes to do opposition research on a candidate and concluded that with all 435 members up for election in the House, a cursory effort could only be mustered. The group doing the research in the Senate is different and only has a few races to focus on. Higher profile race, bigger stakes, and lots of help from outside groups.

I read an interview transcript with the Nassau County Executive this afternoon and was surprised to read that NY has no mechanism for a voter recall. I know if I had voted for this guy I would feel cheated

I expect he will be warmly welcomed to Congress by the likes of kevin mccarthy because it is all about the numbers---and he is the right number
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    .... was surprised to read that NY has no mechanism for a voter recall.
    We have the same problem in Texas. No mechanism for initiative, recall or referendum. Interesting map showing which states have what.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Who is going to make the decision that determines how much lying is too much lying? If the standard is going to be lying by candidates our democracy is over for no one can do that in our current system. While I don't approve of what he did at all it's only a 2-year term and the voters can kick him out if he runs for re-election.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    We have the same problem in Texas. No mechanism for initiative, recall or referendum. Interesting map showing which states have what.
    Very interesting----and PA is in the same boat

This is from this evening's NYT:

Days after Representative-elect George Santos admitted misrepresenting his background, a Long Island prosecutor said she would investigate whether he had committed any crimes, while those who supported his campaign expressed mixed emotions about the revelations now swirling around him.

Anne Donnelly, the Nassau County, N.Y., district attorney, said in a statement that the “numerous fabrications and inconsistencies associated with Congressman-elect Santos are nothing short of stunning.”

“No one is above the law, and if a crime was committed in this county, we will prosecute it,” Ms. Donnelly, a Republican like Mr. Santos, said in the statement, which was first reported by Newsday.

While I agree with everything that has been said about this toad , . I also have to wonder why there is no moral outrage that the members of bot houses are exempt from any consequences if they lie about anything while on the floor of the House or Senate.

Also , while I believe that a person who lies in the real world would be very shortly looking for new employment . If our elected reps. were held to that standard , there would be a HUGE number of empty seats on both sides of the aisle.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Who is going to make the decision that determines how much lying is too much lying? If the standard is going to be lying by candidates our democracy is over for no one can do that in our current system. While I don't approve of what he did at all it's only a 2-year term and the voters can kick him out if he runs for re-election.
    Lots of people get involved with that decision

1) Voters
    2) County political party chairs
    3) State level DAs
    4) Federal prosecutors

I don't think anyone is making the argument you are claiming, that our system is over if anyone lies. I've not heard that, anyway. But there is lying and there is LYING. The sheer amount here shocks the sensibilities. We tolerate a certain amount of moral turpitude as part of being human but this guy is way over the top.

If someone had come to me and said "this is who I am, vote for me because of my qualities and experiences", then it turned out that it was completely fabricated, I would not want that person to represent me. Elected office is a trust position and that trust will have been shattered by the magnitude of this scale of lying. I think that Trump, with his constant unrepentant lying has inured us to what it means when someone asks us for our vote. But maybe I'm oversensitive, I dunno. My job as a public servant meant that the people of the United States trusted me to act in a certain manner and even my off-duty actions could impinge on that if they showed that the people of the US could not trust me to perform my duties fairly and objectively. It wasn't all about my on-job performance. If I brought disrepute to my agency, I could be fired. So I was extremely cognizant of my responsibility to act properly even in my private life.

I'll also disagree with the basic premise that it is somehow impossible to be completely honest with voters. It all depends on how badly one wants the job. I think our system would be better off with more honesty from our elected reps, not less.

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    While I agree with everything that has been said about this toad , . I also have to wonder why there is no moral outrage that the members of bot houses are exempt from any consequences if they lie about anything while on the floor of the House or Senate.

Also , while I believe that a person who lies in the real world would be very shortly looking for new employment . If our elected reps. were held to that standard , there would be a HUGE number of empty seats on both sides of the aisle.
    Sounds like a good start!

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    CNN reports that local news reported the “embellishments “ early on but with the heated governors race and national elections the reports “didn’t get any traction “

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Lots of people get involved with that decision

1) Voters
    2) County political party chairs
    3) State level DAs
    4) Federal prosecutors

I don't think anyone is making the argument you are claiming, that our system is over if anyone lies. I've not heard that, anyway. But there is lying and there is LYING. The sheer amount here shocks the sensibilities. We tolerate a certain amount of moral turpitude as part of being human but this guy is way over the top.

If someone had come to me and said "this is who I am, vote for me because of my qualities and experiences", then it turned out that it was completely fabricated, I would not want that person to represent me. Elected office is a trust position and that trust will have been shattered by the magnitude of this scale of lying. I think that Trump, with his constant unrepentant lying has inured us to what it means when someone asks us for our vote. But maybe I'm oversensitive, I dunno. My job as a public servant meant that the people of the United States trusted me to act in a certain manner and even my off-duty actions could impinge on that if they showed that the people of the US could not trust me to perform my duties fairly and objectively. It wasn't all about my on-job performance. If I brought disrepute to my agency, I could be fired. So I was extremely cognizant of my responsibility to act properly even in my private life.

I'll also disagree with the basic premise that it is somehow impossible to be completely honest with voters. It all depends on how badly one wants the job. I think our system would be better off with more honesty from our elected reps, not less.

I agree with one and two, however to my knowledge it's not illegal to lie in a political campaign.

Depends on how far the lies go. If Santos lied on an official form, that's a crime potentially. He might have lied about about a fund he operated for a charitable cause. That might be fraud. I think you are focusing on on what might be deemed puffery or embellishment. He doesn't seem to have stopped there.

Other people that could get involved

Republican leadership, by keeping him off committees
    House Ethics
    The House as a whole could refuse to seat him
    They could also expel him

Granted, some of these are not likely but the possibility exists depending on the level of lies. It isn't always about whether something is illegal. Legal issues are only a part of the repercussions Santos might face.

I would hate to think that the sole yardstick for fitness for office is whether one is an outright criminal.