Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A note from Mama

With idle time on my hands for a few days----I did the Kimchi Rueben trial---and it was good

I did not add my Russian dressing, as I do on a conventional Rueben, because it didn't seem that the sweetness of the dressing would be a good compliment to the kimchi---but in every other way it was a Rueben with the kraut changed to kimchi.

I can't say it was better or worse---just distinctly different and I will not think twice about repeating it
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Excellent
    I will give it a shot with hot horseradish
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

That sounds like a winner
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    Excellent
    I will give it a shot with hot horseradish
    ooooo.....HOT horseradish...drool.....about 12 yrs ago i purchased some root at a hot pepper show near myrtle beach. the name of the root was nasal napalm and they didn't lie. it is the hottest horseradish root i have ever grown or have ate. i call it stoopid hot! in my opinion it is a bit to much when i go past 5 minutes to add the vinegar. i make huge amounts of it and have a big line of people that want it.

for a reference a 1/4 teaspoon is enough to make a roast beef sandwich have a heck of a good bite to it. i give everyone warnings not to put their nose in it and inhale, and everyone regrets doing so, unless you have a cold, cause it will clear you sinus's right out. some friends have found it for sale online as a prepared sauce recently, but i have not tried it. however if it is close to what i make, it will be stoopid hot!
    it's time to change the air in my head

OOOOOOOOOOOO........Boy----count me in

I used to have a patch of fiery stuff----but sadly after I contracted the lawn mowing it got mowed down one too many times and never came back

I had three basic versions. From the most stringent to the most civilized, white vinegar, white wine and cream. To that I also added a bit of Colmans Dry English Mustard. The mustard gave the flavor profile a broader span.

One Easter dinner with a crowd of in laws and outlaws here I made a batch the day before with white wine and mustard---I alerted our guests to the "aggressiveness" of the condiment which seemed to only embolden a few macho types who did not practice prudent reserve and plowed right in, I think they were silently competing. They both lost My wife was not amused

I had to leave the room

Ok: I came, I saw, I made it, I ate it, I want more

Spicy Kimchi, Corned beef, Swiss cheese, spicy horseradish, chipotle jalapeno mustard on lightly toasted sourdough (home made)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221214_171829.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	359.6 KB 
ID:	39300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221214_171844.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	228.9 KB 
ID:	39301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221214_171953.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	339.5 KB 
ID:	39302
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

I did mine open face on toasted artisan rye with Dijon mustard, then the Kimchi which I preheated in the microwave, thick slices of corned beef and topped with Swiss---then the whole assembly went into the broiler for 4 minutes until the cheese was browning

Added in edit: For breakfast this morning, kimchi and eggs---truly a breakfast of champions

In a moment of reflection this morning----I thought of the young lady that first introduced me to her homemade kimchi back in 1964...she would be proud of her student
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 12-15-2022 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    Ok: I came, I saw, I made it, I ate it, I want more

Spicy Kimchi, Corned beef, Swiss cheese, spicy horseradish, chipotle jalapeno mustard on lightly toasted sourdough (home made)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221214_171829.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	359.6 KB 
ID:	39300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221214_171844.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	228.9 KB 
ID:	39301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221214_171953.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	339.5 KB 
ID:	39302
    ok, ok it looks yummy....but.....there is no way you would use that much horseradish sauce if it was mine, your head would just pop right off! i can send you a jar if you don't believe me, but i don't see it being humanly possible. still that is a dang tasty lookin' sammich

Quote Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
    .....there is no way you would use that much horseradish sauce if it was mine, your head would just pop right off!......
    ROTFLMFAO!!!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    ROTFLMFAO!!!
    i can send you a jar as well if you like good sir! i have 10 or so from this years harvest. it is stoopid hot!

Thank you, but horseradish is not something my palate approves of. I do like hot stuff, though. My daughter bought a can of Blue Diamond Extreme Cayenne Pepper Almonds before she passed. She used to give me two or three almonds thinking I couldn't handle the heat. I love them! Since then, I have purchased the same product only with Habanero BBQ. They up the heat a bit, but I like them too. I also bought the same product with Ghost Pepper. This is my favorite. I eat them every day! My daughter would have been so surprised!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke