Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skeeters...

Skeeters...

I need to remember to buy some 6-12 and Campho-Phenique next time I'm at the store......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

They have not been bad here YET........................
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    They have not been bad here YET........................
    Well I'm usually not outside enough to even notice, but this year is an exception...If I had an air-conditioned garage big enough for the mighty Dodge/Cummins, it wouldn't be an issue......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Stop whining---you haven't seen mosquitoes until you spend some time on the Alaskan Tundra----they eat geese for breakfast
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Stop whining---you haven't seen mosquitoes until you spend some time on the Alaskan Tundra----they eat geese for breakfast
    They may have migrated south...My usual repellent combination of #2 diesel and Louisiana Brand hot sauce doesn't seem to have much effect on them this year......Ben

So----let me understand----do you spray the skeeters with that concoction or rub it on yourself?

Back to them tundra skeeters-----it is the only time that I gave thought to peeing my pants rather than taking a more conventional route to relief
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    So----let me understand----do you spray the skeeters with that concoction or rub it on yourself?
    6-12 always worked well...I doused it on myself from a stick (similar to underarm deodorant), but it seems it got banned a few decades ago by some eco-wacko, possibly the same one that banned DDT...The hot sauce/diesel idea came from my fevered imagination, but who knows, it might work...I'll probably just see what they have on the shelf at HEB...I hope they still sell Campho-Phenique...It stopped the itch almost instantly as I remember...My Mom always kept plenty of both on hand when we were kids......Ben

Yep - the record levels of rainfall this year are going to bring a bounty of mosquitos. And, firefighters fear the fuel growth occurring out in the bush.

The good news is Lake Mead will rise for the Las Vegans.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Lake Powell is coming up almost 1.5' per day right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Lake Powell is coming up almost 1.5' per day right now.
    Which means lake Mead will do the same. Per the compact amongst Western states, the level of Powell and Mead are linked to each other.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

worst swarms of Mosquitos I have ever run into was on the outer banks of North Carolina. The damn things would land on an bite through the big blob of deet on your arm before you even had a chance to spread it out. As you got out of your car a huge black cloud of em would raise off of every bush with in 30 feet of you.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Exumas Bahama.... Anchored about 30 yards off shore in Staniel Cay enjoying a cuban cigar on the bow after dinner when we hear a humming noise. My mate looked at me and said 'lets go down and make the ship tight". A swarm of mosquitoes the size of flies engulfed the boat for about 15 minutes and then were gone..... No more encounters for the rest of the evening but we slept with all the hatches tight and the genny running for AC that night.

I learned to anchor out on the windward side after that.

I also saw something this week I haven't seen in decades, a firefly...Just one in the front yard...I used to see swarms of them in East Texas, but this was the first one I've seen here......Ben

We've had a lot of rain and hence a lot of mosquitoes, biggest I've seen since I left Northern Wisconsin, largest swarms also. Used to be you couldn't see them coming now they have got so big you can't help but see them.
    OH! I have seen a bunch of fireflies also. I've never much paid attention to the date when they come in. We usually get a lot not so many so far.
    This is your mind on drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    We usually get a lot not so many so far.
    The skeeters are probably making a candlelight dinner out of them......Ben