Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hat Etiquette - What Happened?

Hat Etiquette - What Happened?

I don't know where our manners went, or how it happened. Hats have truly become merely a fashion accessory.

I believe:
    1 - Men should remove their hat when talking to a woman.
    2 - Men should remove their hat when stepping indoors.

Yes, I know I am old. And, I will die, living traditions taught to me by my father. I am comfortable with that.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I have never understood why it is disrespectful for a man to wear a hat on many occasions while it is perfectly okay for a woman to wear one in the exact same occasions. Makes no sense to me.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I seldom wear a hat, but I had it drilled into me in the USAF when and where to doff my lid when I do wear one...Here in the upper forums I sometimes put on a hardhat before entering in case some of the boys are being rowdy...Below decks I don't worry too much about it except in the Bilge where hazmat suit and riot helmet are mandatory......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Your local elks lodge wont let you wear a hat indoors which surprises and maybe even offends some guests. Tin foil
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    I don't know where our manners went, or how it happened. Hats have truly become merely a fashion accessory.

I believe:
    1 - Men should remove their hat when talking to a woman.
    2 - Men should remove their hat when stepping indoors.

Yes, I know I am old. And, I will die, living traditions taught to me by my father. I am comfortable with that.

Hunter
    That's what my dad drilled into me, my kids look at me like I'm insane or that my dad was when ever I've mentioned it to them.
    Honda; We don't have to spend an hour pinning it on and fixing our hair nor do we need a mirror to put it back on. Where's your couth man!
    This is your mind on drugs!

That is a certain annoyance for me, but it is just one more thing we thought of as common courtesy that has gone away and I don't think we are better as a result.

In the same class, holding the door for a lady---any lady--standing up to greet someone (male of female) as they enter the room. Knowing and practicing the proper way of introducing yourself or others.
    I could keep on but that would simply make me feel bad---and I don't feel like it
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I was raised to be a southern gentleman and will remain one but I have never heard of removing your hat when speaking to a female.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I have never heard of removing your hat when speaking to a female.
    In every western I ever watched as a kid, it was commonly seen when a man met a lady outdoors......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Yep - I think the crew can see where this is heading.

My father is now 83 and still follows hat etiquette rules he learned as a young Texan in El Paso.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Remove the hat or tip it?

Here is some information from the first lady of etiquette. Notice it is devoid of any requirement relating to the presence of a female.

https://emilypost.com/advice/hats-of...-for-everyone/
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    ...standing up to greet someone (male of female) as they enter the room.
    Ahhh… yes. One of my favorite courtesies all the males in my family fallow.

Hunter

I will hold a door, open a door and always let a female enter before me. This include elevators and other entry ways also. I will help older folks, disabled and women who are struggling at the grocery store or anywhere else, but I will be damned if I am going to remove my cap or a hat to talk to a woman..........not going to happen. For the record I think the last time I wore a "hat" it was a forced event during a school play.

On edit I might add. I think today's modern woman would be totally freaked out if some dude were to come up to her and take off his cap and start talking. Some would probably be offended the rest would run.

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Hats have truly become merely a fashion accessory.
    You sorta answered your own question as to the "what happened". I'm thinking hats started out as completely functional shelter, and unnecessary indoors. How we got to where we are where kids wear flattys backwards, well I guess it was rock music and drugs? Why did a baseball cap evolve the way it did?
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"