Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Notre Dame Cathedral Ablaze

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Honda... Luckily the art work had been removed due to the remodel going on.
    That's good news they have some really important stuff in there relating to the Catholic religion and the Christian faith
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by wacojoe View Post
    Not too soon to point out the Muzzies have been trying to burn Notre Dame down for years.
    What better time to make your point than Holy Week?
    The reality points to the roofers---now if they are all Muslims you might have something.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    The reality points to the roofers---now if they are all Muslims you might have something.
    The roof is made of lead...Now if the roofers are all Romanian Gypsies, and were up there with their hot tar burners, that could be an important clue......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

The Crown of Thorns was saved (believed to be worn by Jesus during the crucifixion), the fate of the relic believed to be part of the cross is not yet known. It appears that most of the stained glass windows either survived or can be restored.

The center (main) spire had no hope of being saved. Not only was it framed in wood, the lower part was open, as is the case of many spires in Europe. Once the fire got into the spire it became it's own chimney, as can be seen in the videos.

From today's NYT:

• A construction expert said that Notre-Dame did not have automatic sprinklers in the wooden framework of its roof, where the fire started, and that its attic space was not compartmentalized with fire-breaking walls, which could have prevented a blaze from spreading.

That differs from something else I read that claims there was fire suppression in the attic.

Added in edit: A possible explanation of the differing claims about fire suppression in the attic is that there were dry stand pipes installed for fast fire department connections but there were no sprinklers at all.

As for the baseless Muslim claims, you can read about that alt right bull chit here.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 04-16-2019 at 04:33 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

My wife knew at the time that the mass she recently attended at Notre Dame was being recorded--and and she found it. She told me she found herself---but she will have to show me. The real value in this is a very good display of the interior prior to the fire.
    As an aside my wife was thrilled in receiving Holy Communion from the Arch Bishop, a man who spent 20 years as a physician prior to joining the priesthood.

Added in edit: I now have seen my wife, very clearly during the procession and again going up to communion and returning to her seat. This is something we will have to save for the family.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 04-18-2019 at 02:01 PM.