Thread: ccleaner is now a bad add on. Delete it

ccleaner is now a bad add on. Delete it

This is your mind on drugs!

And installing CCleaner sometimes shows an offer to install Avast, which you must uncheck to avoid.
    I saw that when I updated CCleaner a few times, and unchecked it all but once...At first I couldn't figure out how it got there, then I realized I probably did it myself...I uninstalled it, but if Disc Cleanup already works in the background on W10 and accomplishes the same thing, I might give CCleaner the boot...I don't like having to shut everything down to run it manually anyway......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Pretty sure I read where the boxes you check end up getting unchecked automatically if you ever do a reboot for any reason, then the system installs whatever anyway. There was something about it installing malware also but I couldn't get it to click in my head. I just un-installed it. I really liked it but I don't have the resources to figure stuff out like I used to.

You don't have to tell me twice----it's out of here!
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I've been using it for several years with no problems...But I have noticed some issues getting certain webpages to load lately...So I just now uninstalled CCleaner to see what happens...I can always reinstall later if I want to...I use the paid version of Malwarebytes Premium already, and Windows Defender still runs in the background...Disc Cleanup runs every night on W10 also...I'll see what happens......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

You sound like your covered pretty good Ben. Ccleaner used to be the first thing I'd download on a new build/install, I've been using it for at least.... ten years? I believe? But it's not worth chancing trouble. I'm going to choose to believe the info I was given this time.

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    You sound like your covered pretty good Ben.
    Maybe not...After uninstalling CCleaner, the same problem reoccurred in that my browser stops periodically...It seems certain websites are preventing all extensions from loading on new pages...I'm using Chrome as a browser, and all my extensions (AdBlock, AdBlock Plus and Gmail Notifier) were downloaded from the Chrome Webstore...When I turn off the extensions, refresh the page and restart the extensions, all is OK...It's nothing more than an annoyance right now...I suspect that certain websites (Weather Channel is one) are blocking the adblockers somehow, even if only temporarily...When I get the time, I'll load everything on MS Edge, re-download my extensions, and see if there is a difference......Ben

Delete the weather channel, easy enough to reload I think. Those extensions have way to many places to check boxes it seems. Avast used to mess with Firefox extensions somehow or another and blah blah blah. Good luck on which ever way you go.

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    Good luck on which ever way you go.
    I replaced Weather Channel in favor of AccuWeather, and let AdBlock do its thing...No stoppages on it so far, but I have gotten the occasional pileup on other sites...No big deal, I'll figure it out......Ben