Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank you Major

Thank you Major

But he wishes he could have saved the five people who were killed. “I feel no joy,” he said. “I just know is I got into mode and I needed to save my family,” and everybody in that room.
    “I saw him and I went and got him. That’s what I was trained to do.”
    “I’m not a hero I’m just some dude,” he said.
    He served in the military for 15 years before leaving as a major.

{4 combat tours, Iraq and Afganistan, awarded a Bronze star}
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...g-mo-rcna58248
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Thank you Major..

Well done, Major......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

There are a whole lot of folks that were in that room that have the actions of this hero to thank for being alive today

There is an excellent article in the NYT this morning based on an interview with the Major. Ironically, he talks about peculiar things he does as a result of his service----I do exactly the same things but never connected the two---I just thought I was always that way.

Strange things like:

Being very uneasy in a crowd---I have to find a place were I can put my back against a wall or column. If a crowd is moving in one direction I am better than if they are randomly moving around, that will do me in
    Never wanting to sit in a booth.
    I will ask to take a seat with my back against a wall and a view of the door. Having people walk behind me is a real no-no. A table in the middle of a room is a non-starter for me.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 11-22-2022 at 02:09 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Never wanting to sit in a booth.
    I will ask to take a seat with my back against a wall and a view of the door. Having people walk behind me is a real no-no. A table in the middle of a room is a non-starter for me.
    My oldest friend, a now-42 year, still active member of law enforcement is the same way if we get together for lunch...Some of his anxiety has rubbed off on me as I often do the same alone, but I think it's just a learned response in my case because, after all, who would want to hurt a sweetheart like me?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Thanks to the Major and his training, a threat was neutralized before further damage was inflicted. A good thing indeed!

Dave, you pretty much described the life of a cop. I don't pull up door-to-door next to a car stopped in traffic, I stop a little behind the doors of the stopped car. I never enter a building or room without first looking inside first. I never sit in a building with my back to the door, even in my own home. I don't stand in line facing the next person in front of me with my back to the rear of the line at businesses, especially high-risk businesses like banks. I stand sideways in line so that I can see the front and rear of the business. I look at every person who walks in the door. I always look for an escape route wherever I might be. Head-on-a-swivel is not a choice, it is how you stay alive when SHTF. It's second nature to me.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

As I was trained. Look up, down, and all around. When you finish do it again and again.
    Growing up with gangs in Los Angeles keeping your head on a swivel is what kept you alive. It has served me well working EMS on the streets of Oakland and Richmond.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Thanks to the Major and his training, a threat was neutralized before further damage was inflicted. A good thing indeed!

Dave, you pretty much described the life of a cop. I don't pull up door-to-door next to a car stopped in traffic, I stop a little behind the doors of the stopped car. I never enter a building or room without first looking inside first. I never sit in a building with my back to the door, even in my own home. I don't stand in line facing the next person in front of me with my back to the rear of the line at businesses, especially high-risk businesses like banks. I stand sideways in line so that I can see the front and rear of the business. I look at every person who walks in the door. I always look for an escape route wherever I might be. Head-on-a-swivel is not a choice, it is how you stay alive when SHTF. It's second nature to me.
    I don't know why I never connected the two

After 55 years my wife knows the drill perfectly. When we go out to eat I follow her as we are being taken to our seats---she will tell the hostess/maître d what is acceptable. If we have to compromise she defers to me to agree or disagree. She also knows the kinds of functions (crowds) I can and cannot take and generally respects my limits.

I am going to tell her about this connection---and based on past events I suspect she will tell me she knew that
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    ...............I am going to tell her about this connection---and based on past events I suspect she will tell me she knew that
    Based on her training I'm sure she will.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

A job well done. Apparently he also showed great restraint after obtaining the weapon from the offender. He probably could have killed the guy and gotten by with it easy.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

He is a hero. And, like many heroes, he acted without regard for his own safety.

I take many of the safety measures our members have noted. Something I do in addition is to make sure I don't stand at a urinal with my weapon side exposed. So, being a righty, I make sure any stranger is on my left side - since my weapon is on the right. If I walk up to a line of urinals and the right one is taken, I'll wait a minute or two, or go into a stall.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    If I walk up to a line of urinals and the right one is taken, I'll wait a minute or two, or go into a stall.
    TMI..

Yes, he is a hero..

Merely pointing out personal safety comes down to the little things.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Merely pointing out personal safety comes down to the little things.

Hunter
    My condolences

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    My condolences