Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Breakfast

This morning's tartine:

1/2 cup plain greek yogurt, 1 packet of Splenda, one cup of chopped fruit (strawberries, blackberries and blueberries) over one slice of double toasted multigrain bread, with Irish Breakfast tea.

Protein, healthy starch, fruit. Very satisfying.

Now, off to the gym. Elliptical, weights, core and some specific exercises to help my arthritic joints, then heated water massage table.

Today's menu: 1/2 cup oatmeal with a teaspoon of butter and a table spoon of honey with a double espresso to start the day. Lunch is strawberry yogurt (280 calories)
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    This morning's tartine:

1/2 cup plain greek yogurt, 1 packet of Splenda, one cup of chopped fruit (strawberries, blackberries and blueberries) over one slice of double toasted multigrain bread, with Irish Breakfast tea.

Protein, healthy starch, fruit. Very satisfying.
    I thought your goal, unlike mine, was eating "healthy" foods. If so, why the Splenda? Don't you know it is much worse for you than common table sugar?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Is sucralose safe?
    So what’s the verdict on sucralose? It’s complicated.

It’s true that research has raised some concerns. Yet scientists haven’t found any direct negative health effects in people who consume sucralose long-term. That’s true both for healthy people and those with diabetes.

“While sucralose may cause problems at higher doses, most people consume nowhere near that amount,” says Patton. “If you enjoy sucralose occasionally and in moderation, it isn’t likely to have a major effect on your health.”
    https://health.clevelandclinic.org/i...a-bad-for-you/

So like most things, in moderation, it seems to be OK.

I've lost 120 lbs so far using Splenda in my tea or coffee each day. The big thing? Being EXTREMELY disciplined in what I eat. When I eat breakfast, I don't eat until midday meal. After midday meal, I don't eat until last meal or if I do, I have a piece of fruit somewhere mid-afternoon. I don't eat sweets anymore as a rule. I don't eat bread I haven't made myself and damned little of that. My morning tartine is one slice of bread and that will be it for me for the day. My second and third meals are almost entirely veggies and proteins. I don't eat much made with refined flour. I think I'm doing pretty good - the weight loss says I'm not substituting more calories due to wanting more and more sweets.

And my a1c went down from borderline pre diabetic to well within normal range. So as far as I can tell, I'm doing good.

Moreover, when I was 360 lbs, I was about 160 lbs overweight. My BMI was 48.2. THAT was a lot bigger threat to my health than a package of Splenda. So I'm not that concerned and neither is my doctor. She wants me to get to about 220 lbs, which given my Adonis-like superstructure, is about 20 lbs more than the BMI chart says I should weigh but do-able at 6'1". A lot of the problem with Splenda comes from people using it A LOT, like in baking or whatnot, and that isn't an issue for me since I don't eat baked goods much (just a slice of bread each morning). Once you cut the sweets or baked goodies out of your diet, for me anyway, I find I don't crave them anymore particularly.

But you make a good point about artificial sweeteners. I haven't seen the deleterious effects that others have but it is probably because I food journal and stay very focused on what goes in my mouth. Some here might question what comes OUT of my mouth but that's another problem...

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    Today's menu: 1/2 cup oatmeal with a teaspoon of butter and a table spoon of honey with a double espresso to start the day. Lunch is strawberry yogurt (280 calories)
    I don't know if I could operate on that! My morning tartine works out to be about 200 calories but I have a good-sized salad with plenty of veggies and about 4 oz. of protein at midday. Dinner is a lighter affair, with veggies and protein coming in at about 300+/- calories.

I've seen pictures of you and you are a big healthy guy so whatever you are doing, it works for you!

I've lost 120 lbs so far...
    That's outstanding!

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I had an enchilada for dinner when I got off work at 4pm. At 6:30pm I was feeling hungry. Rather than eating junk foods I made this with light balsamic dressing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221108_181745.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	289.0 KB 
ID:	39242
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

good going Kevin

This was me at 59 around 300 pounds

Name:	15541054_1529841307032874_6219993686782825364_oa.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	295.9 KB 
ID:	39243

this is me today at 66
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221108_202928~2.jpg 
Size:	401.9 KB 
ID:	39245  

Last edited by TriGuy; 11-08-2022 at 11:37 PM.

I had an enchilada for dinner when I got off work at 4pm. At 6:30pm I was feeling hungry. Rather than eating junk foods I made this with light balsamic dressing.

Name:	20221108_181745.jpg 
Size:	289.0 KB 
ID:	39242
    Very tasty looking!! Looks a lot like my meals these days.

good going Kevin

This was me at 59 around 300 pounds

Name:	15541054_1529841307032874_6219993686782825364_oa.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	295.9 KB 
ID:	39243

this is me today at 66
    So how much weight have you lost? I notice your fancy Italian bike in the background - do you have that on a trainer? I've been thinking of getting one myself. What do you think of yours?

So how much weight have you lost? I notice your fancy Italian bike in the background - do you have that on a trainer? I've been thinking of getting one myself. What do you think of yours?
    65 pounds. The bike is on a fluid trainer. It's basic but it works well. as for the bike it's self. I've had it 18 years and still love it.

you sir, have improved with age keep it up!
    i am slowly going the other way, i was 145lbs 10 years ago, now i'm at 165, but i have added a bunch of coors to my diet though....as of now i find good old water relpacing the coors more and more often.......and we wont discuss my diet it includes pork, lots and lots of pork (to quote homer simpson) mmmmmmmm, pork!!
    it's time to change the air in my head

My 92 year old mother is in a nursing home in a near vegetative state. She does not speak and barely knows when someone is in her room. I do not want to live long enough to be in that state. Therefore, I am going to live and eat whatever I want regardless of whether someone thinks it is bad. I intend to enjoy what life I have left and not to live past the age where I can participate and enjoy life.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

“If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking, and loving, you don't actually live longer; it just seems longer.”

― Clement Freud

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson

In my case, Hunter S. Thompson nailed it!