Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Ugly trucks...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    OK---so where is the radiator?
    Somebody asked that in the comment section, and may explain why there's no highway footage...Well that and the non-DOT approved seating...And the lack of license plates......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Here's a horrendously ugly Scammell with a slightly higher pedigree...This one is powered by a 6 cylinder Rolls-Royce diesel...There were also some later ones built for the British army with a twin-turboed, 625 HP Rolls diesel V-12...

But only a mother could love a face like this......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Those should be cheaper because of the vote, Ben. Now's the time to break out the passport and head over to England and pick up a few.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Good idea, Fred......Ben

Park that dude in your driveway and it will even make your Doge look pertty
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Park that dude in your driveway and it will even make your Doge look pertty
    The Dodge already helps the ladies get over the shock of seeing me for the first time......Ben

Building an ugly truck...How it was done at Autocar...And yes, they're still in business......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    The Dodge already helps the ladies get over the shock of seeing me for the first time......Ben

Got the mirror flipped up for the extra 50hp, or is the invisible trailer kinda wide to see by?

Quote Originally Posted by dmd View Post
    Got the mirror flipped up for the extra 50hp, or is the invisible trailer kinda wide to see by?
    With my eyesight, having the big picture available is a bonus......Ben

Story time.

Back in the mid-70's Autocar's plant was located in Exton PA, about 40 miles south of me. That is also the plant shown in the video. I had a contract with them to reroute their sewer lines from their own treatment plant to the newly installer public sewer.

There were multiple lines to tie together and this was not a quickly done project. They were also a UAW shop. That meant there were conditions for everything---including the maximum distance from any work station to a rest room Because we were causing a rolling shutdown of their rest rooms we had to install porta potties in the plant to avoid being in violation of the contract. So---along with a rolling shutdown we had a rolling cadre of porta potties to go along with it.

As the trucks were completed they crossed our work area on the way to the "drive-a-way" lot. We were amazed at the bolts, nuts and washers that fell off as they passed. I still have many in my inventory

The worst part---I could not get paid. I was there one time trying to collect payment and got to talking to another guy in the lobby---who turned out to own the trash collection company---I asked him if he had trouble getting paid----his answer: "why do you think I have so many Autocar trucks?"

Ultimately my local White truck dealer leaned on someone in Cleveland who in turn got me paid.

A few years latter they closed that plant and moved to I think Utah.

The current Autocar really has no connection to the former company, they simply purchased the rights to the name and logo.

Here is a local Autocar wrecker still in use--I think it is a 65:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	36415  

Last edited by Dave Grubb; 07-10-2016 at 10:25 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I do love me a twin-steer......Ben

Another going back a bit further......Ben

This Mack is so ugly, they wouldn't even let it sit on the same side of the field with the pretty trucks......Ben

Speaking of ugly trucks, they don't get much uglier than a Hayes, but if somebody wants to get ugly with you, there's something comforting about having a twin-turbo Detroit Diesel 16V71 on your side......Ben

I hate to be negative----but I hope the jerk that started that thing up is also the owner. If not someone should have dragged him out of the cab and beat him severely about the head with a BFH

Running a cold engine up like that is criminal.