Thread: News from the front

News from the front

The Culture Wars rage on.

The NCAA just announced that it will not hold championship games in states that ban transgender athletes. MLB pulls the All-Star Game.

Just a passing squall or are we witnessing the beginning of a sea change?

I think this might be the beginning of a new beginning

The number of corporations taking stands in these social issues is growing daily and has spread far beyond what might be presented in the newtainment world.

The GOP seems to want to keep a stiff upper lip----but this is going to get into their pocket in a big way

But---that's OK---trump is still selling the big lie to the true believers
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I don't like it. For, Real Republicans*, like my father, are being put on the spot to decide where they stand on these things. He, and his Republican friends, have heated discussions about whether (for example) they support Trump or not. And, none of them seem to feel comfortable about where the party is currently going.

*Yeah, I get the irony. I'm a RINO who registers as R to get in the primaries 'cause 80% of our legislators are R's.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

In 1861, Wilmer McLean lived in Manassas, Virginia. The First Battle of Bull Run took place on his farm. General Beauregard's headquarters was McLean's home. During the battle, artillery damaged the house. So, Wilmer McLean, hoping to escape the conflict, picked up stakes and moved.

To Appomattox, where in 1865, the war ended in his living room. McLean is supposed to have said, "the war started in my front yard and ended in my front parlor".

The point of this?

I believe we are in a civil war, but not one that involves shooting. In a civil war, no one is neutral. They are not allowed to be. No one can escape it. "Those who are not for us are against us". We will not be allowed to refuse to join one side or the other because the hotspurs among the crowd will not have it.

I believe we will all have to choose which side we are on. We won't be allowed the luxury of being left alone. Even in my extremely rural area, passions are still running high. People WANT to fight, and just like the 1850s, there is an issue to fight about - whose culture will win? Clash of civilizations comes to the US.

Sorry buddy. No one is going to pass through this time in history unchanged.

Hundreds of corporations signed a letter against voting restrictions and paid for an ad in the Times to publicize it. Maybe corporate activism is now a trend.

McConnell says corporations should stay out of politics but supports Citizens United and takes corporate donations to his reelection. So it goes.

Those damn Republicans they're all Crooks.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Hypocrisy needs to be called out, no matter who does it. We spend a lot of time on here castigating Biden or Pelosi or AOC or whomever, and legitimately so. When the Republicans do it, I think they should be castigated as well.

Don't take it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Hypocrisy needs to be called out, no matter who does it. We spend a lot of time on here castigating Biden or Pelosi or AOC or whomever, and legitimately so. When the Republicans do it, I think they should be castigated as well.

Don't take it personally.
    I wish you'd quit reminding me to not take things personally. I don't take anything here personally. I simply respond to posts in the manner in which I choose just as yourself. If you want to start talking about hypocrisy I don't think there's enough space in the forum servers.

On edit there was a time years ago here in these forums when I did take things personally but I realized that it was mostly that my politics were not in favor with most of the moderators and I learned it's just not worth worrying about.
    Last edited by Honda; 04-14-2021 at 07:59 PM.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I think our political system needs to be flushed out and cleaned every 15 or 20 years. Is that what's happening? Could be.

It just seems to me like there's a high level of political tension in our country. Maybe that's what it takes for us to examine and re-examine our political positions.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead