Thread: Cataract Surgery

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Answers:
    1. You will need someone to drive you home. The follow up was the next day and depending on how you feel as the eye is still bandaged, you shouldn't drive. So figure a driver for that also. After they remove and check you eye, in my case focus was hard since it was so bright. Another follow up in 2 weeks and you should be good to go in that eye.
    2. They don't due both eyes at once.
    3. They decided not to do the corrected lens for the astigmatism so I ok with using glasses. Need something for reading and they are coated for the sun, so I'm never looking for sun glasses. LOL.
    4. Ben I stayed away from work and at home for three days after the follow-up before I drove into work. So figure the operation was on Tues, follow up on Wed and driving by Sat-Sun. Now the hard thing to remember is one eye is fixed and healing and the other is the same. So if you are wearing glasses expect one to function with that the the other going crazy trying to see out the glass.
    5. Until about a month after both eyes are done then's the time to get the eyes checked and deal with reading or regular glasses. Anything before that is a crap shoot.

In my case I was trying to run the register and either taking glasses off or squinting to see the keys. Was funny and sad at the same time. Luckily most of our clients are older and have had the thing done so they could relate.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Ben I stayed away from work and at home for three days after the follow-up before I drove into work. So figure the operation was on Tues, follow up on Wed and driving by Sat-Sun.
    I may have to live with what I have then...Thanks for the info, Fred......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

and they are coated for the sun, so I'm never looking for sun glasses. LOL.
    My glasses are self darkening too, but I was very disappointed that the glass in the truck is already UV treated so I had to get clip ons while I drive. They will not darken while in a vehicle and I was bummed about that. The minute I step out though, it is great!

Quote Originally Posted by TxMusky View Post
    My glasses are self darkening too, but I was very disappointed that the glass in the truck is already UV treated so I had to get clip ons while I drive. They will not darken while in a vehicle and I was bummed about that. The minute I step out though, it is great!
    The brightness really bothered me at first but I quickly got used to it.

The sun is brighter in Colorado Springs than in Texas and whole lot brighter than Florida, the Sunshine State.

I had mine done in 2005 or 2006.

They did one eye at at time and yes, you need a driver because of the sedation. It is not local.

I had a lens implanted that was in use in Europe for some time, but new for the U.S. Insurance wouldn't pay for the first lens because they considered it experimental. They paid for the second lens. These are multi-focal lenses. Prior to the surgery, I wore tri-focals. Now, I use glasses only for the computer.

I'd like to have it done again because today's lenses are even better than the ones I have.

My biggest problem now is with floaters (not caused by the surgery). I'm considering having a vitrectomy to get rid of them.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I had mine done in 2005 or 2006.

They did one eye at at time and yes, you need a driver because of the sedation. It is not local.

I had a lens implanted that was in use in Europe for some time, but new for the U.S. Insurance wouldn't pay for the first lens because they considered it experimental. They paid for the second lens. These are multi-focal lenses. Prior to the surgery, I wore tri-focals. Now, I use glasses only for the computer.

I'd like to have it done again because today's lenses are even better than the ones I have.

My biggest problem now is with floaters (not caused by the surgery). I'm considering having a vitrectomy to get rid of them.
    I was wearing trifocals but my vision had deteriorated to the point they no longer worked. The ophthalmologist in Florida said I had a small cataract. He did not do surgery and continued to adjust my glasses. He then said it was the Myasthenia that was causing my vision difficulties.

Here in Colorado, the doctor said it was cataracts and I could get the regular lens implanted that would correct my vision to 20/20 and Medicare would pay the full amount or I could get a lens that corrected my astigmatism that provided a multifocal correction that Medicare would not cover.

The out of pocket expense for the regular lens was about $25.
    For the multifocal would have been around $10,000.

For me, there was no choice.

Thanks Eric, I will have to look into those the next time I order lenses.

Wannabe is offline Nov 5, 1946 - Nov 19, 2018
    A Friend Who Will be Missed.
    May He Rest In Peace
    Cataract surgery is wonderful. Before my surgery I could not shoot open sights. Telescopic sights was a little better. I was seeing two reticles which put a little square in the middle. Put the square on a pig at 100 yds or less and I had a dead pig. After the surgery I was back to shooting open sights and one reticle.

Quote Originally Posted by TxMusky View Post
    I have Rudy Project Glasses. The new photochomic lenses that they make, darken and lighten really fast even through windshield glass tinted or not. I love em.

http://www.rudyproject.com/sunglasses.html
    Last edited by TriGuy; 03-08-2018 at 09:13 PM.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"