Thread: Supreme Court backs landmark voting rights law, strikes down Alabama congressional ma

Supreme Court backs landmark voting rights law, strikes down Alabama congressional ma

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...pute-rcna64476

The Supreme Court on Thursday struck down Republican-drawn congressional districts in Alabama that civil rights activists say discriminated against Black voters in a surprise reaffirmation of the landmark Voting Rights Act.

The court in a 5-4 vote ruled against Alabama, meaning the map of the seven congressional districts, which heavily favors Republicans, will now be redrawn. Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Brett Kavanaugh, both conservatives, joined the court's three liberals in the majority.

In doing so, the court — which has a 6-3 conservative majority — turned away the state’s effort to make it harder to remedy concerns raised by civil rights advocates that the power of Black voters in states like Alabama is being diluted by dividing voters into districts where white voters dominate.
    Might give other some pause when redistricting. Wish there are better ways to approach the problem, but sadly I fear it'll happen if the other side gets in power.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Instead of having congressional districts, let the representatives be elected state-wide, like the senators are now. No more districts, no more gerrymandering at that level, at least.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

The 5 to 4 vote shows dissent as well as a close call.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead