Thread: For all us DD fans...

For all us DD fans...

This means you, Dave...The uploader here says this is the rarest of the rare Detroit Diesels, the 1-71 produced for a couple of years in the late 1930's...With less than 1000 built, off the shelf parts are non-existent, so improvisation becomes the watchword...Watch as he buys this one sight unseen, and proceeds to find out if it will even run...A word of warning - his language is occasionally reminiscent of my own when I did such things for a living......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I skipped ahead to see if he could get it to run and was impressed when he succeeded.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    I skipped ahead to see if he could get it to run and was impressed when he succeeded.

Hunter
    It's even more impressive when you see what horrors he had to undo, then re-manufacture from scratch...And apparently a lot more to come......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I am about half way through. I am amazed at how clean the inside of that engine is. My guess is that it has very low hours on it.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Very nice

I never saw a 1-71, I did see a 2-71 which was running a line shaft drive in a local saw mill. The main saw and carriage was powered by a 6-71. The 2-71, with flat belt drives, drove the sawdust conveyors, a big gang rip saw, and cut off saws.

All good stuff---thanks Ben
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I thought the little blower was cute too......Ben

Here's another one from a few years back...The red Jimmy in the background has its own video which I've seen...If my rememberer is working right today, it's powered by a 4-71......Ben

Nice toy----I have a couple of hit-n-miss engines that I mess with from time to time.

That GMC tractor has a 6-71 with a 10 speed RR. Personally, I think that type cab are the best looking trucks ever built.

I was a devoted fan of the TV program "Cannonball".

all i can do is drool. that thing is he's got some good engineering on the fly skills to boot
    it's time to change the air in my head

Here's a new installment uploaded today...Don't let the title fool you, all is well......Ben

Ahhh... I was once in love with 2-stroke engines, when they were in my Japanese off-road bikes. At the time (70s) they powered most of the dirt bikes. I finally went to 4-strokes with road bikes & never looked back. Nowadays I doubt 2-strokes could clear emission standards.

When I turned 17 I enlisted. But before I left I drove my 125cc 2-stroke Yamaha Enduro from San Jose CA to SLC Utah - where my mother lived. The bike had a top speed of 65 MPH (downhill). It took me 25 hours to get to SLC because of frequent breakdowns - after blowing the baffles out of the muffler coming over Donner. Without baffles the engine overheated - melting the wiring (Winnemucca). I bought some wire and a roll of electrical tape and spent 6 hours rewiring it.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Ahhh... I was once in love with 2-stroke engines, when they were in my Japanese off-road bikes. At the time (70s) they powered most of the dirt bikes. I finally went to 4-strokes with road bikes & never looked back. Nowadays I doubt 2-strokes could clear emission standards.
    Both the 53 (53 cu in/cylinder) and 71 (71 cu in/cylinder) series engines have gone to the "vintage" class for that exact reason
    My biggest Oliver has a 3-71 engine:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39236.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	39969