Thread: pressure canning collard greens

pressure canning collard greens

i'm putting up 25 pts today, i'm about 1/2 way with the canning now. prolly put the last batch in around midnight. glad i got an electric canner this year, not need to babysit the stove
    here's what i did:

Ingredients:
    12 cups water
    1/2 cup cider vin.
    1lb smoked ham ends
    1 teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 tsp diced fresh garlic per jar (cook with the bacon and onion)
    1/2 teaspoon ginger
    1 pound bacon
    1 cup onion, chopped fine
    16 pounds collard greens, untrimmed

the garlic, collards and onion came from my garden. the ham ends i had left over from the hams i smoked from a pig i bought last october.

cut bacon into 1/2 inch pieces then place in skillet on medium heat. add onion and garlic. mix well. cook mixture for 5-8 minutes or until onions are translucent. scrape everything to one side of the pan and leave it an an angle to drain the fat.

wash greens thoroughly. remove stems. cut to 3/4" strips. i roll them up and slice them

i removed some of ham ends (they mostly broke apart in small pieces) and added the cut greens to stock pot and mix well. simmer for 10 mins, mixing often. using tongs, hot pack greens into jars leaving 1” head space. with a spoon evenly disperse the bits of bacon, garlic and onion into the jars tamping down to keep the required head space. ladle hot ham liquid on top of the greens keeping the 1” head space.

wipe each rim with a paper towel dipped in vinegar. put the lids and rings on each jar and hand tighten.

pressure can for 75 mins.

they smell yummy. i'll be having some tomarrow night with shredded pork butt
    it's time to change the air in my head

Collards are one of my favorite vegetables. Had never given a thought to canning them. Ours are just now coming in here and I may just try what you did.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

i like to let mine get a frost or 2 on them, they sweeten up a bit more. however we are forecast for 25* wed night and that would have ruined them. i had some really nice leaves close to 2' long and 12" wide, my best year with them! i found i can cover them with black plastic and they will winter over, even down to the -8 we had this year

i should probably add to not put your garlic in right away with the bacon and onion mix, it would burn with the time it takes to cook. i added mine after the bacon was all but cooked and only cooked the garlic with the bacon onion mix for 1 minute.

me thinks i'll be cracking a jar of cider and some horseradish to go with my pork butt and collards tomorrow

in edit:
    if you like it spicy add some red pepper flakes
    Last edited by Flaco; 10-28-2023 at 08:28 PM.

Sounds good - particularly with the ham, bacon and garlic.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

WOW----I'm impressed

My Mother was a canner---in those days most housewives were canners. Since "field" chores normally took precedence over anything in the house, I was not much involved----I do know that my Mother had a vast array of "canning stuff" from the pot for the water bath, strainers, food mill, funnels, and all the parts of the jars. She canned both fruits and veggies. Some of the fruits were turned into jelly and jams.

As close as I ever came, was my end of the season tomato sauce and hot pepper relish projects which I would put up in zip lock bags and freeze.

On another note: My wife is unpacking from her road trip and just gave me a birthday present---a bottle of "Whoop Ass" Green Habanero Hot Sauce. You can get your own here---along with Carolina Reaper and Ghost Pepper Sauce.

As an added bonus I see they also sell pepper mash, in 5 gal buckets. Carolina Reaper mash is priced at only $400.00 for a 5 gal pail
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Prickly pear cactus in that hot sauce? I don't think I've ever had that - but I'll give it a try.

A question for my friends, do prickly pears taste good?

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I have only had it in salads and tacos uncooked, and only the leaves. The prickly pear cactus (nopal in Mexico) is commonly used in Mexican cooking. I have never had a chance to try the berries or fruit (red) that grow on the end of the leaves. I saw the leaves commonly on Long Island and also in larger grocery stores around here. When offered in the store they have "shaved" the leaves. I believe the entire plant is edible. The taste of the raw flesh is similar to the earthiness of raw green beans. I have never had it cooked, although I know that in Mexico they do eat it cooked as well.

Also---I am pretty sure I remember seeing it in the grocery stores in Utah----not far from your new home, at the Target in Sandy
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 10-30-2023 at 08:25 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Not too shabby. Wifey likes Target stores - and regularly buys from them.

Hunter

It's about time for a taste test report Mr Flaco

YES

Hunter

i got a nasty cold and have not gotten into them yet. i'll let you know this weekend

I understand-----I got my own version last night. My wife brought me an unwanted souvenir.

i'm beginning to smell and taste again, so i think sunday i'll throw a pork butt in the smoker and have that and a jar of collards for supper. i'll take a pic and report in when i'm full

they are yummy! some salt from the ham, then the bitterish from the collards and finishes with a little vinegar and garlic i'll take pics next time, my camera batteries were dead