Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Since we have no shortage of opinions here----help me out please

Question Since we have no shortage of opinions here----help me out please

I "lost" my Pentax digital camera. (I think it had some help making an escape )

Anyway, with our European cruise coming up in the spring and my general missing of a quality camera I want to get a replacement now so that I can gain some level of proficiency with it prior to setting sail

I am thinking in general terms of a SLR camera. I have a collection of Nikon lenses for my 35 mm Nikon bodies but have no idea as to the possible adaptability to a digital body.

I also question the value of a SLR over my more simple fixed lens Pentax camera which performed most tasks admirably. The ability to correct many things on the backend with software has gone a long way to being able to enhance less than perfect pictures.

I do want to have a reasonably high range of focus. I am not greatly concerned with it's video capability.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

You will most likely get many replies slamming my pronouncement . However , the cameras on phones are now almost , if not , equal to your average SLR .

True the more expensive cameras will produce better pictures but at a much greater cost . What it boils down to is , do you need " professional grade photos " or can you accept amateur/standard grade .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

I tend to agree with IV, especially for the average person, like me, who just wants to take some photos. I have a very good digital camera that lives in the gun safe only to see light when I open the safe for any reason other than photography. It is too complicated for me due to lack of training. With limited exceptions, I believe my photos made on the phone are superior to those I make using the expensive camera. It is getting long in the tooth now, and I'm sure the newer cameras are much cheaper and better in most ways.

There ya go, IV! No slamming from me!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    ...cameras on phones are now almost , if not , equal to your average SLR .
    I agree.

Wifey bought a top-of-the-line digital camera 2 years ago. She's into photography and excels at it. But, about the same time she bought the new camera, Samsung released surprisingly useful, and technically superior, cameras in their phones. As a result, she's never even taken the new camera, and its fantastic lenses, out of the original package it came in.

Wifey and I still travel, just not as often as we used to do. When traveling lately, I've noticed how we rarely see fellow travelers using professional cameras. And, as a result, shops/stores dedicated to cameras have, for the most part, closed.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    You will most likely get many replies slamming my pronouncement . However , the cameras on phones are now almost , if not , equal to your average SLR .

True the more expensive cameras will produce better pictures but at a much greater cost . What it boils down to is , do you need " professional grade photos " or can you accept amateur/standard grade .
    I'm going to disagree. Phone cameras are great for near to mid distance no movement photography. They are not good for Macro photography, anything over 50' away that is small, and they are horrible for action photography such as Bird Photography or moving animals unless you like blurred subjects. I have SLRs, Phone, and waterproof Fuji cameras for shooting while fishing on a stream or out on my Kayak.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Dave, I almost forgot! I have a very close friend who is a professional photographer. She was an assistant to Herb Ritts the photographer to the stars. I'll send her your question and let you know what she says.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Eric, I agree on the macro lens comment...I had three very good macro lenses I bought for my Canon cameras...Alas I could never get the hang of using all the equipment I bought to turn out the kind of quality pictures I knew they were capable of...I wound up selling my Canon 1Ds-iii and many of my lenses for a fraction of what I paid, but I wish I would have kept my 180mm Macro for my Canon 40D that I kept......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Must agree with IV..

We are planning a cruise to Iceland.. will have phone and old, no service, made into an iPod phone to take pictures.. ..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Dave, I almost forgot! I have a very close friend who is a professional photographer. She was an assistant to Herb Ritts the photographer to the stars. I'll send her your question and let you know what she says.
    Excellent---and thank you.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I'm looking at Cannon as a possibility at the moment.

My biggest concern with the phone in-lieu of a camera is that it is limited by the tiny lens---blow up a landscape on a big screen and you will see my objection in the graininess.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I don't think there's any substitute for Canon quality, Dave...I bought my 5D shortly after its introduction...It's now so old I can't even update the firmware through Canon, but it's been 100% reliable about 15 years now...The one you linked will accept all EF and EF-S lenses, and being mirrorless will need less maintenance......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Check your PMs, Dave.

Got it ----thanks

My friend says that the Canon you are looking at is a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    My friend says that the Canon you are looking at is a good choice.

OK----I wimped out

I put this off about as far as I could---we leave in two weeks

First---I found my lost camera----I gave it to one of my sons

So---I now have a no name camera----for real! It has no name on it or the manual that came with it

Amazon says it is a:
    Brand Lecnippy
    Model Name DC305X
    I have no idea how well it works, I have only taken two photos. I will play more with it this weekend.

I have been lugging around big SLR cameras and multiple lens since I was in Korea in 1963---now I'm old and worn down

This might have been a waste of money but I will see