Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruth just punched her ticket to the Dressage Finals in Lexington KY

Ruth just punched her ticket to the Dressage Finals in Lexington KY

United States Dressage Federation Region 7 and California Dressage Society Championships were held over the past 4 days Ruth and her horse Roxy Lee took the California Dressage Society Second Level Championship and was Reserve Champion at USDF Level 1 that Qualified her at both levels for the National Final in KY in Mid November

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230923_165217~2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	353.9 KB 
ID:	39874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1120900.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	500.1 KB 
ID:	39875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1120905.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	505.9 KB 
ID:	39876Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1120921.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	502.9 KB 
ID:	39877Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1120833.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	386.7 KB 
ID:	39878
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Excellent pics.

She has not only succeeded personally, but professionally, as well. I'm betting she's invested much time and money to get to where she, and her horse, are.

May it go well for both of them in Kentucky.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

it's time to change the air in my head

Congratulations!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I'll never claim to understand what dressage is, but I do understand the value of dedication and perseverance toward a goal...Bravo, Ruth!......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Excellent

Another road trip in the making

This is her "new" horse
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Fantastic.. Congratulations

Yes this is her new Horse Partner. 17hand 5 year old Hanovarian Mare named Roxi Lee

this is the ride that won the championship for her. Her riding and the horses movements are just so smooth

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

The quality of that video is impressive. I particularly like the way the horse holds its head. There's probably a name for that pose.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Okay, I have a couple of serious questions. I'm going out of character for a moment and not being a smart ass.

What is the point of this type of riding? It looks very uncomfortable for the rider.

Why does the horse drag its hoofs? Especially the right rear?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'm going out of character for a moment and not being a smart ass.
    i am marking this day on my calendar

it has been 35 or 40 years for me since i worked at a horse farm, but from what i remember dressage was all about the training and rider to horse communication. the rider had to know and trust the horse to do its job at the show, and the horse had to trust the rider enough to follow it's instructions perfectly and perform comfortably. it was a sort of bond through trust from rider to horse and to have it look good if that makes any sense. also i might not have this 100% correct, it is just how i remember it, and i am not great with descriptions. heck i'm not good with words in either.

that being said, i have seen dressage riding done very well, and it is like poetry in motion. the rider/horse communicate is beautiful to witness.
    it's time to change the air in my head

Okay, I have a couple of serious questions. I'm going out of character for a moment and not being a smart ass.

What is the point of this type of riding? It looks very uncomfortable for the rider.

Why does the horse drag its hoofs? Especially the right rear?
    Last point first She is a 5 year old and is undergoing a growth spurt. Not everything is equal in length plus she was 4 days away from getting her hoofs trimmed and new shoes up front Hind right always grows faster for some reason and the toe was long.

The sport evolved from Calvary Officers competing to see who was best at controlling their horse for fighting out of the saddle without killing each other. Ultimately you want to be able to control the horse with your legs and seat with little input from the hands. What you see here is a young horse that has only been under saddle one year and is just capable of the very basic movement. And yes this is a sport for the obsessive compulsive which is what my wife is

Thank you. It helps me understand a little bit better!

Thank you. It helps me understand a little bit better!
    Mike this is from the World Championships. This is the world champion professional rider doing Grand Prix which is the top of the sport. this is what Ruth aspires to Her best at this level is a 71%

https://youtu.be/TxOWgPC1TbU?si=0arDmASs9xhMevzC

The information presented shows me how, like any sport, there is tradition and function built into Dressage. Nice work, my friends.

Hunter