Thread: Imagine this

Imagine this

In 1972 or 73 I bought a new Marlin Model 336 in 35 Remington---for $69.00 at a long defunct department store.

I can't tell you how many deer I took with that little guy---but it was a lot. When I sold all my guns it went along---and brought close to $700---I was shocked

Well---the 336 is back----and the price is a tad over $69.00
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

A friend at the gun shows until recently had two older Marlins, neither pristine, in .35 Rem...They each sold for over a grand......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I don't get it---at that price it has little to do with the actual cost of the gun---that price lives in some " romantic image" in the mind of the buyer. I would liken it to the PT Cruiser that people paid way over MSRP and was not representative of true value.

I liked my 336 and it was excellent for hunting in heavy cover (20" barrel) and the 35 Rem was a perfect choice for that terrain. It also fit with my economic status at the time. One draw back was that everyone of my boys wanted to use it and I could not allow that. The gun is unsafe in the hands of anyone not focused on what they are doing. Once the hammer is cocked it is the same as a single action revolver---the only way to take it to an un-cocked state is to very carefully and slowly let the hammer down after pulling the trigger and being fully aware of where the muzzle is pointed. That sounds simple enough but I watched someone blow a hole in the dirt in the middle of a bunch of guys standing close by
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis