Thread: The Most Expensive Guns Sold At Auction

The Most Expensive Guns Sold At Auction

Interestingly, most of the guns on this list were Winchesters and Colts from the Wild West era.

Most gun owners in America use firearms for three specific purposes. A recent Gallup survey found that well over half of all gun owners in the U.S. have a firearm for one or more of the following reasons: protection against crime, target shooting, and hunting. And for only a few hundred dollars, most Americans can purchase a gun well suited to any one of those tasks.

A small subset of gun owners who have both the interest and the financial means, however, buy firearms for different reasons altogether. Firearms that are notable for their historical significance, artistic merit, or both, go up for auction every year, and buyers shell out hundreds of thousands of dollars to claim them. In the past five years alone, more than a dozen firearms have sold at auction for anywhere from $750,000 to over $6 million.
    ARTICLE
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Those are far out of my league---but it makes me realize how much I miss mine

I get lost by some of that thinking. How much more is a serial #1 really worth? The gun is no different than #100---except for the number

The guns that I had I could hold them and marvel at the workmanship and materials ----the guy with that Winchester can only marvel at a number
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

It's the history behind the gun that appeals to me. Like my 1873 Winchester, made in 1884. It is of very little value. I bought it because of the history. I can't even imagine owning the Colt SAA from the Little Big Horn battle, or Pat Garrett's Colt that killed Billy The Kid. Or, any one of many historical firearms. I value the history of the arms.

And, sadly, they are out of my league, as well.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Most gun owners in America use firearms for three specific purposes. A recent Gallup survey found that well over half of all gun owners in the U.S. have a firearm for one or more of the following reasons: protection against crime, target shooting, and hunting.
    As evidenced by the auction results, there is an obvious fourth reason - financial gain...The other reasons are also valid, but in my case I haven't shot a gun of any kind in 12 or 13 years, I haven't hunted in over 30 years, but I do go about armed...

I also value the history of the guns I buy which is why I buy Letters of Authenticity from the S&W Historical Foundation...But when shopping I follow the advice I got long ago, buy the gun, not the story...I seen that advice pay off many times...I recently bought two S&W's with provenance showing they belonged to a Massachusetts politician who eventually rose to the Governor's office, and another that was bought in 1915 by a young newly appointed Judge who wore the gun under his robes until he passed away as Chief Justice of the Texas 8th Court of Appeals in El Paso in 1953...

Today the pickins were slim, but I did find a nice K-22 Masterpiece which I believe will date to 1948...I negotiated an OK price, but I don't think the fellow realized the grips alone on the gun are worth about $250......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    ...buy the gun, not the story...
    Nice.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    ..... buy the gun, not the story.....
    Sometimes, if I plan to actually use the gun, that applies to me. Other times, it's the story I find intriguing. I mostly don't buy firearms for an investment because I keep them. I have never sold a firearm and have only traded in 2 in my life, a new Winchester Model 94 and a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Mag. Once I get 'em they stay.

Consider in the 1860s that Wild Bill Hickok earned $150 a month as the marshal of Abilene, KS. Other Kansas lawmen earned $100, and deputies often made $60-75/month.
    - World History

A used single-shot, muzzle-loading rifle would cost $8.
    The fancy seven-shot Sharps Repeating Rifle cost $50.
    A breach-loading shotgun would go for $60.
    And the gun that won the west—the Colt .45 “Peacemaker” ran $17 if ordered by mail-order.
    If you preferred the upgraded pearl-handled set, which came with holsters, those Peacemakers were $100.
    And cartridges for the guns cost $.50/box.
    The average school teacher would earn $30/month.
    - History.com

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead