Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hokey smokes!

hokey smokes!

i can easily see and smell the smoke from the canadian fires today here in north east pa. visibility is very much decreased. i don't know how it is by dave, but it must be worse for kevin. hope the air quality is ok for both of you.

if i had a better camera i'd take some pics, but then again i don't have pics from clear days for comparison. i need to start taking more pictures....
    it's time to change the air in my head

welcome to the past few summers in the bay area where the air quality index stayed above 500 work weeks at a time

Type https://www.iqair.com/us/ in your browser then add in your zip code to find your local air quality. Right now we had rain and wind today so our index number is an excellent 16
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

It is bad here. Yesterday, looking out toward a fence line I thought it was humidity induced haze----only to find out it was smoke!
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Like sitting downwind of a smudge pot.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Our Canadian guest has arrived.. 16 miles west of White House, one mile east of NRA museum.. sky looks like an episode of Twilight Zone..

It is not uncommon for us to get smoke from fires in Mexico. I feel your pain.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I have also figured out the red/orange and dim full moon

It is windy today---gusts to 17 mph---and the smoke is worse. Looking at the same fence line from the same position it is much more obscured today.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    welcome to the past few summers in the bay area where the air quality index stayed above 500 work weeks at a time

Type https://www.iqair.com/us/ in your browser then add in your zip code to find your local air quality. Right now we had rain and wind today so our index number is an excellent 16
    the closest town to me that is on that site has the air quality at 205/unhealthy
    it's time to change the air in my head

309 here

34 for me.

I just looked out to find it noticeably worse---and when I checked that site it is now 411.

Added in edit:

This just in the NYT:

New York City Air Quality Hits Worst Level on Record
    The sky in New York City rapidly darkened as a plume of smoke from Canadian wildfires blotted out the sun and triggered air pollution warnings.
    Gov. Kathy Hochul of New York called the worsening air quality “an emergency crisis,” and warned it could last several days.

We're seeing a hazy ski - which were first caused by CA wildfires but are now caused by Canada's. It all probably would be worse if not for our healthy Winter precipitation (or, did that just add more fuel, TG?).

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I just saw some video of NYC on the nightly news. This is not good at all. If the residents didn't already have breathing problems, a lot of them will now.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I just got done my PA Dutch class. I am allergic to smoke---I can hardly breath and that is with the house closed up and the AC running---I need to get some chemicals!

Eric's site says I'm at 34

AIRNOW, the goober mint site say I'm at 257.