Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somethings I am smart enough to understand

Somethings I am smart enough to understand

....that I am too dumb to understand

I just gave my wife her lunch and while eating she reminded me that the cleaning girls are coming on Tuesday (I kind of knew that since they always come on Tuesday). In response to her statement I said: "I know that-----and I am not going to clean the house before they come"

I got a disapproving look and then a reluctant "OK".

We always clean the house before they come----we can't let them see the house all dirty and unkept

Since my wife is in a hospital bed in the LR I just might further my rebellion and not even make my bed
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Wait'll she gets outside and finds out you didn't mow the yard or wash her car......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Wait'll she gets outside and finds out you didn't mow the yard or wash her car......Ben
    While I don't mow the grass anymore I am going to call them off this week----it is very dry here and the grass is all browned out----this is far too early in the year for this. The corn is stopped at about 6" high

I'd wash the car but I don't want to waste the water
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

My mother would always clean the house before the cleaning ladies showed up. I never understood that concept.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    My mother would always clean the house before the cleaning ladies showed up. I never understood that concept.
    I'm afraid I can't offer any help---it confounds me

I always clean my pellet stove before the stove people come to do their annual maintenance. Which includes a stove cleaning, natch.

Same reason I always wear clean undies - I don't want to be embarrassed if I'm in a wreck and the EMTs see me without clean underwear. Back in 2007, I fell out of a tree stand and had to be carried out of the woods (the local VFD earned their pay that day; I was no flyweight). My parents lived just down the hill so I asked if someone would let them know what had happened and to tell my mother that I had clean underwear on. She was so proud...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Never understood “making the bed.. I always “make” my bed sometime between I get out in the morning and back in in the evening.. sometimes I will even kinda straighten the covers after breakfast (good peace keeping gesture)..

Wifey doesn't understand my need to clean our hotel room before we leave it.

I learned in the Army that there is a right way to make a bed. They've probably got manual on how to do it properly.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I learned how to make a bed in the Navy.. was in tech school (A school in Navy speak) and was assigned a rack in a small “cube” .. four racks but eight lockers.. life was good until the afternoon that cube ate and self received notice to see the Company Commander (First Class Engineman on shore duty) ..

EN1 asked us why, since two of us were assigned racks in the cube was there no linen on any rack and why were four lockers in use for two people (who didn’t appear to be living there).. ???

We ‘fessed up.. the second locker was where we threw our bedding every morning so that we didn’t have to make our beds.. and then the Chief walked in (Battalion Commander) and asks “how long have you two s%%t birds been doing this? “.. now we began to lie.. and answered, “just started this week”..

Chief leaves and advises the PO1 that we need some EMI (extra military instruction)..

Ended up only having to wax the decks at the recreation center on a Saturday..

The PO1 had two helpers, A PO2 and PO3.. we mentioned to the PO3 that we had been hiding our bedding for over two months but told the Chief that we did it less than a week to keep more people (Ships Company, the Company Commander and his assistants) from getting in trouble..

Makes be think of a story!

I was on a Pacific cruise ----with the Navy---and I lucked out by being "picked" to do KP---every other day

Well--after about a week of that "honor" I got the ****s of it. I was in the "clipper room"---which is where the dishes came to be washed. The dishes were actually SS trays. There was a port hole in the clipper room---it had a scoop inserted to draw fresh air in---there was no AC on this proud Naval vessel. It was August. I found out that if I pulled the air scoop I could stack 5 trays together and just fit through the port hole. Also, the silver ware was stored in round can like containers-----I could fill them up and toss them out with abandon

That posed a great quandary for the management as it were, until one day after about a week or more of doing this----someone in management was on a deck above my clipper room---and looking over the railing noticed a littering incident. I was in deep dodo----they wanted to lock me up----but instead made me work KP everyday for the remainder of our little cruise

thankfully the worst thing in the Fire Department was they made you strip every last thing off the engine and then rebuild it to spec. Then they would have you do a drill that would use most of the gear and get it filthy. So then we got to strip it again, wash all the hoses, bed new ones and inspect and clean everything and sharpen all the tools...so much fun
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

After basic never had those problems.

Seems being a cook when the management would come up with a stupid order like clean the bathrooms and we would say "sorry I am a cook and not allowed to do those jobs". Reason was we could get an infection(s) and pass that on. Do remember when some new LT came and gave that order. My Mess Sergeant lit him up for saying that.

Beds were the same since we were on from 11 to 1:30- 2 o'clock in the "24 hour shifts. Beds were supposed to be made but in all fairness they would inspect the room with a blind eye since most time we were sleeping in them before and after shift changes.

And KP was out of the question also.

Life was a fun time looking back now. Great memories.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

My brother-in-law was a cook.. really he was a telephone man.. after telephone man School and a year in Vietnam he returned home and was sent to an Airborne unit at Fort Benning , then called Benning.. when he was processing in he was informed that he’s day began at 0530 with an All the way Airborne five mile run before chow.. he advised that he was a telephone man and not an Airborne Ranger and the conversation went down hill from there.. he ended up an E-5 withNam ribbons in cook school.. he says it was a great time and learned a lot.. he is the “go to” guy when the VFW has a picnic for 500..

Fort Benning loomed in my future back (I even had orders) in 1964 when I was about to finish my tour in Korea-----but since the Army had no one to replace me I "offered" to stay a little longer to train the replacement that was close to finishing school. That moved my exit date from August 1964 to November. When November rolled around they (NSA not the Army) wanted me to go to Vietnam to set up a new station there---din ding---deal time----OK guys but when I'm done with that field station I get to go home----and immediately separate----no Ft Benning for this "leg"

They agreed and in late Nov or early Dec I was off to Vietnam------and ultimately an early out (about 2 1/2 months) in the spring of 1965

I was done with the Army---at least until 1966 when they decided they need my ass back (they called it expertise)----they even "promoted" me while I was gone---I had become the Sr ELINT Analyst in the Pacific Theater-----I was hardly impressed

I got lucky, because I was studying engineering and because many of the senior administration of my University were retired military and General Hersey was on the board---they got me out of it

Before I enlisted in the Army I was told horrors stories about the food - how awful it was. So, I was pleasantly surprised to find the food was good. I was scrawny at the time, 6'4" and 150 lbs. The cooks/severs would see me and load up my tray. It worked, I gained 50 lbs before I was discharged.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead