Thread: New shootin' iron

New shootin' iron

Got the itch to go retro after reading one too many of Ben's John Wayne paeans. So, I bought myself a Henry Big Boy 44 Mag, large loop, steel receiver, side gate load, 20" barrel. Regular walnut furniture and since I'm going to use it to go huntin' as well as keep the homestead clear of porcupines and whatnot, it isn't one of those right purty brass ones. Plan to put a Skinner peep sight on it and it'll be the sleekest throwback you ever saw.

Two weeks ago, I found I was underpowered with a Ruger 10/22 so this will hammer varmints. And, with a peep sight, it will be set for brush-jumping deer in the fall.

Here's the latest:

Attachment 39605

Now, off to the range!!!

Nice!

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Kevin, with the surging popularity of lever guns, you were doing well to find that one at all...Henry makes a quality firearm, and big bore models are in high demand...I'm also a fan of peep sights (sometimes called ghost rings)......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Not too shabby. It has the classic Winchester style look.

I do know about Porcupines. If one died near our CA home - wow, they really reek after they've been dead a day or two.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Not too shabby. It has the classic Winchester style look.

Hunter
    Actually, the Winchester lever action rifle was developed from the 1860 Henry, although today's Henry has no connection to the original Henry.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I've heard of the Henry. Looking on their site, the Big Boy Classic stands out for me.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

They make some REALLY pretty rifles! High quality actions - the lever felt like buttah!

And, made in the USA. If possible, I buy American.

I have a Henry .22 that I really like. It is cheap to shoot and it will eat anything from CB caps to .22 LR. I bought it from Ben back when he owned the gun store.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I bought it from Ben back when he owned the gun store.
    I know I didn't make near the profit on that one to which I intended to become accustomed......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

And I thank you!