Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: change your shorts momment

change your shorts momment

both crewmen ejected safely

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

With both J-79's still in full AB, my guess would be an arresting cable failure......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I'm always amazed when I see takeoffs and landings on carriers. A pitching, bucking, rolling postage stamp in the middle of the ocean and they manage to do the deed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I'm always amazed when I see takeoffs and landings on carriers. A pitching, bucking, rolling postage stamp in the middle of the ocean and they manage to do the deed.
    Think of the time and expenditure of resources involved in training to make all that second nature to those involved...Something not well known in the recovery process is the many touch and go attempts that become necessary when a landing doesn't quite work, the tailhook misses all four arresting cables and the A/C and its crew must relaunch immediately even if momentum is reduced (this is why the engines stay lit at full power until the deck crew signals to shut down)...

On return from a mission many A/C are low on fuel, and in the middle of the ocean there are no KC-135 tankers circling overhead in a track...At recovery time one (or sometimes more) FA-18 has been launched unarmed but carrying full internal tanks plus two wing tanks and a centerline tank full...These are equipped to perform air-to-air refueling for those A/C in need of enough fuel to make another attempt...Imagine this scene taking place in a rolling sea, in a thunderstorm at night - and then remember that the refueling A/C will be the last to touch down, and if his attempt fails, he doesn't have any one in the air to top off his tanks......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Now understand that I am married to a woman that was on the stick landing and taking off from carriers
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    Now understand that I am married to a woman that was on the stick landing and taking off from carriers
    I do recall that...It seems either of you would be accustomed to making decisions quickly in life threatening situations......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I do recall that...It seems either of you would be accustomed to making decisions quickly in life threatening situations......Ben
    it's all in the training. preplanning, size ups. Plan for stuff to go south and what you will do when it does. Reacting with a plan, those microseconds saved by taking immediate action is the difference between living and dying

I worked for a short time in the military section of the large engineering consulting firm that I went to immediately after graduation. The group designed all catapults and arresting gear. It is amazing how "controlled" both of them are. A well trained operator on the arresting "engine" can tell exactly where a landing plane will stop on the deck. I hoped to go out on sea trials but I moved on to the steam power group (including nuclear) before I got that chance.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    it's all in the training. preplanning, size ups. Plan for stuff to go south and what you will do when it does. Reacting with a plan, those microseconds saved by taking immediate action is the difference between living and dying
    That's motorcycling, or at least, safe motorcycling. **** up and you are guaranteed to have a bad day, assuming you live through whatever just happened.

An excellent point, Kevin. Bikers don't get many second chances.

One of the worst mistakes I made was when, on the way home from a doctor appt, I was feeling great and daydreaming. As I passed through a downtown SLC intersection, I looked up and noticed I had just run a red light. The intersection was full of cars as I skidded sideways to lay down the bike. Oddly, I slid across 3 rows of traffic without impacting the cars. And, I was able to bring the bike upright at the end of the slide.

After the above, I rode the bike to my Mom's house and left it in her backyard for 3 weeks.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

F-4 Phantom from VF-151 "Vigilantes" falling into the sea after its nose wheel collapsed during launch from the USS Coral Sea. c1970. Thankfully, the crew ejected safely!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	357198482_563135079366165_2013843066703321176_n.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	39656

here is video of what happened

Not much time for anything there other than a quick prayer and pull the OS handle......Ben

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    In an attempt to make certain safety practices second nature, there are certain carrier designed practices required at shore stations so that they become habit forming.. example, at the end of my career “cranials” (the color coded head protection head protection) was required at shore facilities..

During implementation of the new headgear rules we relieved a squadron in Puerto Rico that was starting head gear when they returned home and we started when arriving in PR.. had a crazy week overlap of some in headgear and some not..

Note, departing squadron borrowed our cranials for photos of their executive department departing.. politically correct..
    Last edited by Sandman; 07-02-2023 at 08:58 AM.

One of my best post military experiences was touring the historic warship carrier Midway, moored in San Diego's harbor. The huge size of Midway is impressive - yet when viewed from the air it's exceedingly small as a landing site.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=san+di...p=1&ghc=1&lq=0

My brother, who has his pilot's license, says, "There's no way" he'd attempt to land on it.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead