Thread: I Had an Amazing Day!

I Had an Amazing Day!

My law enforcement department has been giving a "stage name" to our K-9 partners that honors local dignitaries and community leaders. The "stage name" is used in all public news releases and reports.

Not too long ago I got to wondering why they hadn't named one of the dogs for my mentor and good friend who hired me way back in 1981. So, I picked up the telephone and called the current Constable, who is also a good friend, to ask the question. His response was "good idea, I don't know how we overlooked that".

So today, I went back to my old office where I rarely venture anymore for the presentation.

The man of honor, Constable Dick Moore, gave me my first job in law enforcement in 1981 and I have remained with the department ever since. Although my commission is still real, it is mostly honorary since my retirement.

I said at the ceremony that Constable Moore has been the single person who has made my life what it has been for the past 41 years and is today. He trusted me with a 5000 lb. patrol car with lights on top and a really loud woo-woo turned loose on the public. Even scarier, he trusted me with a badge and a gun. I must have done something right because over the years he promoted me through the ranks to the rank of captain before he retired. His replacement kept me on and the current Constable promoted me to the rank of assistant chief where I remain retired, but still commissioned.

When I first started back in 1981, we had 45 employees. Today the department has grown to about 650 employees with about 600 of them being commissioned peace officers. It is the 13th largest law enforcement agency in Texas and the largest Constable's Office in the United States. It has a $70 million dollar budget!

The guy in the red shirt below is me. To my left in the dark suit is the current Constable, Mark Herman. The white haired man to my right is retired Constable Dick Moore standing with his wife.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dog1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	39603

The photo below is of the actual presentation. The made local television news in Houston.

Name:	dog2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	39604

I am extremely proud to have been able to honor Constable Moore in this way!

BTW, he will be 93 years old in a couple of months!

Harris Co. Constable, Pct.4 Facebook Page
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I recall meeting Constable Moore way back yonder when I lived in Houston, but I can't recall the circumstances...But I'm pretty sure I was not under arrest!...

Mark Herman's deputies are making a name for themselves everyday in the news, in a very good way...I know it's due to the fact they had some fine leadership!......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    .....Mark Herman's deputies are making a name for themselves everyday in the news, in a very good way...I know it's due to the fact they had some fine leadership!......Ben
    Ben, you don't know how proud I am when I go back and see my former subordinates wearing sergeant's stripes, lieutenant's butter bars and captain's RR tracks. It makes me feel like I accomplished something in a pretty thankless job.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

That is really wonderful Mike----congratulations to both your mentor and to you for jobs well done

And thanks for sharing that with us
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    It makes me feel like I accomplished something in a pretty thankless job.
    You succeeded - which is why they remember you as a professional and a friend.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Most excellent in so many ways Mike..

When my Mentor Captain George Johnson passed away CalFire Honored him in this way. At 0800 in Every Cal Fire Ranger Battalion in California sent tones out to every station in the State. They then over the air announced his passing after 30 years of service to the state followed by a moment of silence then they played Taps. There wasn't a dry eye in my station. I miss him and I'm glad that you got to do this for Constable Moore while he is still with you
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    That is really wonderful Mike----congratulations to both your mentor and to you for jobs well done

And thanks for sharing that with us
    could not say it better than that myself

very well done capt'n, and glad you had an amazing day
    it's time to change the air in my head

Update!

I don't know what else this K-9 partner has accomplished since he began patrol duties, but on June 22, he discovered 3 kilos of methamphetamine on a traffic stop. Then, 3 days ago, he captured a shooting suspect that had fled the scene.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Well done..

And.. what Dave said..

Sounds like a successful program.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Update!

I don't know what else this K-9 partner has accomplished since he began patrol duties, but on June 22, he discovered 3 kilos of methamphetamine on a traffic stop. Then, 3 days ago, he captured a shooting suspect that had fled the scene.
    Mike, I don't find where you posted by what name this fine K-9 deputy is to be addressed, but I did find this warning below which might be helpful in his (or her) career......Ben

Name:	bomb squad.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	39668
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...