I will couch this with the statement that the Japanese are not high on my list of nice people.

The tangled story of an art history student and her professor shows the state of sexual power dynamics in Japan, where laws on assault do not mention consent and where the #MeToo movement has not taken off as it has in the West.

The student, Meiko Sano, said that her professor had sexually harassed her and taken advantage of the power imbalance between them for years. She lost her case, and the professor was fired last year. Then, she had to pay damages to the professor’s wife, who accused her of adultery.
The normal treatment of women in Japan (to my western thinking) is disgraceful. They are treated more like servants than "people". Routinely, they are ignored in a room of men. They have been trained to be submissive at a level we cannot understand. Often---out of rebellion I would say thank you to the "silent servants" that served tea in a meeting, the only problem with that is that I knew I was making them uncomfortable

Those young ladies were all college graduates