Thread: Social Security COLA

Social Security COLA

From the Motely Fool:

Next year's COLA will be 3.2%
    In early 2024, seniors on Social Security will see their benefits rise by 3.2%. Clearly, that's a far cry from the raise they received at the start of the current year. But let's also give that raise some context.

While it's not as robust as 8.7%, it's worth noting that in recent years, we've seen COLAs that have been much smaller. Since 2008, in fact, seniors have had three years with no COLA at all. And in 2021, Social Security recipients only got a 1.3% boost. So by comparison, 3.2% doesn't seem so terrible.
    Yes---I wish I had had all the monies paid in----but that wasn't the deal I resist doing comparative analysis, that is pointless.

At the end of the day I think this is a pretty good benefit---for most of us. Could we live on it--no, but it is a pretty good help. Where I think it really falls apart is for those who, for whatever reason, paid little into SS.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I'll take what I can get, but it sure ain't enough......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I won't complain.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I'll take what I can get, but it sure ain't enough......Ben
    I doubt that it is enough for anyone and hopefully most have been able to supplement SS with a precious metals business or similar source but I feel bad for those who do not and/or did not have that option. It is difficult to create your own options when you are shoveling chit against the tide your entire working life.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Just thankful the wife worked long enough that Toyota covers part B of Medicare for me and her. Adds those few extra $$ to the till.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Wifey and I took the safe bet - assuming we'd never get SS. As a result, we've scrimped, saved and invested - other than the resources we committed to traveling.

This month we bought our last house (technically, our family trust did). But, in a first for us, we did not pay cash. For, the corporation we bought our home from agreed to refund considerable monies if we took out a mortgage from their inhouse financial company. We took the bait because we'll simply pay it off early. Everybody wins. We save significant funds - and the investors/sellers walk away with closing costs (et al.).

Become the quiet millionaire next door no one knows about. Never forget there'll always be scammers ready to take what is yours. Regularly assess exactly what your holdings/resources are and be willing to regroup accordingly.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Regularly assess exactly what your holdings/resources are and be willing to regroup accordingly.

Hunter
    Good advice for anyone......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Thank you, Ben.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead