Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas does it again!

Texas does it again!

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I am happy to see that the fish was released. All too often these fish are killed for no reason. I really hate the bow hunters killing them for sport.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I was happy to see that as well
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

that is a huge gar! i too am glad to see it released

i released the biggest brown trout i ever caught 30" and 9.75lbs. the guy i was fishing with was shocked.
    it's time to change the air in my head

Cook him up, eat him. Cycle of life. As long as they are not endangered, no problemo. Even apex predators lose the game some days. Sport killing sucks, eating what you kill is natural.

No one thinks twice about killing a damn fine looking steer for steak. And yes, I think some beeves are just flat out awesome-looking. I spent my life around farm animals. I can appreciate the power and beauty in a beefer, the breeding that went into making him that way, the stolid majesty of him standing there overlooking his domain, and the next minute, start putting him into cutlets. One minute majestic, next minute food. Romanticizing food is not my thing.

Quick research shows I need to watch the doc Alligator Gar: Predator or Prey? (update: found it on YouTube)

Reminds me of the sturgeon docs I've seen.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Kevin, I have no problem with cooking them up. It's killing them and leaving them lay that I disagree with. I do not believe it is moral to kill for fun.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Kevin, I have no problem with cooking them up. It's killing them and leaving them lay that I disagree with. I do not believe it is moral to kill for fun.
    I agree Mike. If you kill it you have to eat it. no trophy killing bull sh!t..

All my fishing is catch and release
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

And then this shows up

Beloved New York swan babies rescued after mother was eaten by family, police say

If it tastes anything like chicken, I wouldn't eat it anyway......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Those swans are local celebrities. They have, in the past, been targets for teenage and adult vandalism. One year, several were found beheaded. No reason for it, just someone drunk and out to destroy stuff that other people like. There is an element of mindless violence in a depressingly large segment of our population.

We used to take our children to see the swans when I lived in the Syracuse area.

Yeah, at times our inhumanity extends to animals.

Anyone else been to our outstanding Hogle zoo? Well, if you go now you, may miss some animals that hung out there. For decades, Peacocks have roamed the grounds. No more. Turns out kids were chasing and harming the Peacocks. So, zoo staff gave the birds away to willing takers. "Where were the parents?" - Is what I want to know.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Yeah, at times our inhumanity extends to animals........
    Hunter
    That's where, in many cases, it starts.

And now there is a new world record Alligator Gar caught in East Texas under IGFA rules. This time it is 283 pounds caught on 6 pound line. Dayum! Cast Here

Have never seen one. But, due to this thread and Wikipedia, I'm looking forward to doing so.

Hunter