Thread: Astounding stuff!

Astounding stuff!

I have known about the mineral rich deposits called polymetallic nodules resting on the sea floor at great depths---but now this brings an entirely different consideration into play.

More accurately, as many as 5000 or more considerations!

A new analysis of the Clarion-Clipperton Zone, a vast mineral-rich area in the Pacific Ocean, estimates there are some 5,000 sea animals completely new to science there. The research published Thursday in the journal Current Biology is the latest sign that underwater extraction may come at a cost to a diverse array of life we are only beginning to understand.
    If we are to be responsible stewards of this earth we need to move prudently. We have messed up enough already----no need to further that misadventure.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    We have messed up enough already----no need to further that misadventure.
    Unless of course, someone smells a big enough profit......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I am certain that we can find a way to destroy whatever is found. Greed always comes first.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

And there in lies the crux of problem---by being in international waters it matters not if all the "good guys" agree on a procedure. It only takes one AH to screw the pooch---and I can think of a few of them

The engineering issues are straight forward---the political issues are the more difficult.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

China. That's what I see happening. They will give the rest of the world a one fingered salute.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead