Thread: you can't fix stupid

you can't fix stupid

I mean really stupid to believe that this MAGA stuff had any cash value at a bank
    Trump Bucks
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ands-rcna84965
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

If I found one of those coins in my pocket----I'd burn my damn pants
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I'm betting none of our friends here would fall for buying things from scammers. Yet, many Americans are doing so.

We need to stay vigilant. For me and my family, that includes ensuring our elders allow us to monitor their financial moves. My Mother and Father are susceptible to con artists. My Father was conned out of several thousand dollars - but we (his children) managed to get it back. So, as a family, we agreed that our parents can no longer be online unless one of their children is present.

I'm not saying other families need to do the above things. What is important is helping our vulnerable family members be financially safe and secure.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    ......... So, as a family, we agreed that our parents can no longer be online unless one of their children is present........
    If my family ever decides that they can treat me like a child, they will cease being my family. I will not stand for that.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    When we settled my folks estate, we had to have a hearing.. after publishing notices in the newspapers.. that if any money was owed by them, speak no or forever hold their silence..
    my folks had been duped by “woodchuck’s “.. a woodchuck is a nice country boy who knocks on your door and offers to do yard/tree work, then returns several times for repeated payment.

So.. I feel your pain..

And.. my Dad had the same view on the subject as Mike.. but after the “woodchucks “ incident.. he gave the checkbook to my sister.. he always had plenty of cash and a credit card.. but he had stopped driving so didn’t need much..

A Woodchuck movie must be make. It's too good for a fly over.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Mike, I've thought about what you wrote for most of the day.

My wife's father had dementia. He could not be trusted to act in his own best interest so the family took over the money, took his car keys, etc. It might not seem to be applicable to what you said, but it kind of is. The basic problem - not being able to be trusted to handle one's own affairs - is the same. Her father didn't get there overnight; it was a progression. Things got worse over time. No one wanted to do what they ended up doing. It was because they loved him and worried about him that they eventually had to keep him from being the master of his own life.

He did not like it either. This was a man who had owned his own business, a filling station/car repair corner stop for decades. He raised four children and gave them a set of values that they all still have, good solid American virtues of hard work, love of family and country, morals. He kept bombers flying as a mechanic during WWII. He had been in charge of a flight crew and his skill was what men relied on to keep them safe in the air. This was not a man accustomed to being told what to do. And I don't mean he was a difficult man to deal with. He could have a temper but for the most part, he was just a great guy.

When it was shown to him how he was changing, and how his family was there for him to help him navigate the world around him, he himself made the decision to let them help. He loved them enough to trust them. And that made all the difference. He did not allow anyone to treat him as a child. They helped him do things he could no longer reliably do as he once did.

It isn't about treating someone as we would a child. It is about filling gaps, having someone's back, and showing love. And being willing to have that love shown, on both sides.

At least, that was my observation.

And they all got shut down for fraud

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...able-rcna86916
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Chalk up a win for NBC news. For, the publicity brought to the bogus sites brought corrective action.

Hunter