Thread: Not to jump the gun

Not to jump the gun

..but it seems like the all powerful freedom cacus is about to be neutered by a bipartisan deal on the debt ceiling.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Yeah, it's not a good time to have our government paralyzed by the House refusing to budge. For, they know how poorly that would reflect upon them. And, the White House won't get credit for salvaging a deal - it's simply expected.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

An hour ago in the NYT:

May 27, 2023
    Updated 10:41 p.m. ET
    President Biden and Speaker Kevin McCarthy on Saturday reached an agreement in principle to lift the debt limit for two years while cutting and capping some government spending over the same period, a breakthrough after a marathon set of crisis talks that has brought the nation within days of its first default in history.

Congressional passage of the plan before June 5, when the Treasury is projected to exhaust its ability to pay its obligations, is not assured, particularly in the House, which plans to consider it on Wednesday. Republicans hold a narrow majority in the chamber, and right-wing lawmakers who had demanded significantly larger budget cuts in exchange for lifting the borrowing limit were already in revolt.
    I can't imagine there are not enough moderate Democratic votes to make up for the rabid right
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

But that won't be the sole lift, here. There need to be enough Republican votes to make up for the radical left as well. The Squad is thundering about work requirements and not promising to support anything.

Maybe this is an opportunity for a more sensible center?

The fact that the far right and far left do not approve of the compromise probably means it's a pretty good bill.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    The fact that the far right and far left do not approve of the compromise probably means it's a pretty good bill.
    one can hope
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Political views were once described as nor a line from left to right.. but rather a clock face Circle..

Six o’clock is middle ground.. 3 & 9 are dedicated left and right views.. 2 is blind rage right and 10 blind rage left.. anyone between 11 and 1 is just a zealot and you can’t tell them apart..

If the zealots hold up the deal.. Biden will spin it to be their fault.. and the TV entertainers will sing the Bidens fault song..

I doubt that the bill will pass. There are too many fools with destructive agendas in both the house and the Senate.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I am optimistic that the pragmatist moderates will outnumber the ideologist extremists.

I just finished reading an article that says the freedom caucus is discussing calling a vote to remove McCarthy. Remember, that was part of the deal when he was elected speaker.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I was expecting that to come up. I wonder how long the sensible (there has to be some!) members of the House will have enough of them.

And we (your average American) waits and watches. Will the House allow the USA to have a historic default?

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    ............. Will the House allow the USA to have a historic default?

Hunter
    If they don't, the senate will...........