Thread: Power is back on here...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Power is back on here...

Tuesday afternoon i was in my office and noticed it starting to get dark...I could see the leaves starting to rustle on the trees across the street...Five minutes later I could see absolutely nothing across the two lane street in front of my house...Rain and tree limbs were blowing straight sideways from north to south...In ten minutes the sun was out and all was calm, but the power was off...It came back on a few minutes ago...

A tornado had touched down about a quarter mile from my house...I walked up there this morning to look, and a large oak tree had blown across the street and landed on some power lines...Lots of downed trees and damaged houses here too...I only lost a tree limb...Elsewhere some workers were caught in a house under construction...It collapsed; seven were hospitalized and two died...RIP to some guys just trying to finish a job......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Wowzers.. glad that you are ok..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Wowzers.. glad that you are ok..
    That's two of us then......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Here's some pics of the damage from my morning walk......Ben

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0945.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	476.3 KB 
ID:	39591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0946.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	445.0 KB 
ID:	39592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0947.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	442.2 KB 
ID:	39593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0948.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	191.7 KB 
ID:	39594

Wow----I echo Sandy's sentiments

My daughter is in Tuscany on a long hike with mostly good weather while Reggio Emilia the state just to the north of Tuscany has terrible floods. Her daughter and SIL who live in Guam have been cut off since early yesterday as a typhon hit with 125 knot winds. We had a text yesterday morning saying they were OK---only water blowing in under the sliding door---and their power was out.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

That makes me glad I'm not in Guam, Dave...My power came back on yesterday evening...I left my freezer shut, so nothing lost there......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Tuesday afternoon i was in my office and noticed it starting to get dark..
    heck ben, you've been in the dark most of your life, i'm surprised you noticed

glad your ok, sad to hear about the construction workers
    it's time to change the air in my head

I just got a bunch of pictures of Guam

The palms seemed to have been the most common survivors---but not without damage. There are coconuts everywhere. The leafed trees are fully defoliated---it looks like mid-winter where there is no winter!

The palms that did go down, some broken at the base and others with the root system torn out. There seems to be limited building damage and no serious injuries or deaths.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
    heck ben, you've been in the dark most of your life, i'm surprised you noticed
    Even blind squirrels stumble across the occasional acorn......Ben

it's time to change the air in my head