Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power is back on here...

Power is back on here...

Tuesday afternoon i was in my office and noticed it starting to get dark...I could see the leaves starting to rustle on the trees across the street...Five minutes later I could see absolutely nothing across the two lane street in front of my house...Rain and tree limbs were blowing straight sideways from north to south...In ten minutes the sun was out and all was calm, but the power was off...It came back on a few minutes ago...

A tornado had touched down about a quarter mile from my house...I walked up there this morning to look, and a large oak tree had blown across the street and landed on some power lines...Lots of downed trees and damaged houses here too...I only lost a tree limb...Elsewhere some workers were caught in a house under construction...It collapsed; seven were hospitalized and two died...RIP to some guys just trying to finish a job......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Wowzers.. glad that you are ok..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Wowzers.. glad that you are ok..
    That's two of us then......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Here's some pics of the damage from my morning walk......Ben

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0945.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	476.3 KB 
ID:	39591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0946.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	445.0 KB 
ID:	39592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0947.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	442.2 KB 
ID:	39593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0948.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	191.7 KB 
ID:	39594

Wow----I echo Sandy's sentiments

My daughter is in Tuscany on a long hike with mostly good weather while Reggio Emilia the state just to the north of Tuscany has terrible floods. Her daughter and SIL who live in Guam have been cut off since early yesterday as a typhon hit with 125 knot winds. We had a text yesterday morning saying they were OK---only water blowing in under the sliding door---and their power was out.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

That makes me glad I'm not in Guam, Dave...My power came back on yesterday evening...I left my freezer shut, so nothing lost there......Ben

Dang Ben! That was too close! Glad it decided to skip your house.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Dang Ben! That was too close! Glad it decided to skip your house.
    Big winds fear me......Ben

Excellent pics, Ben. The deaths and damage are unfortunate - but the performance of workers is admirable.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Big winds know who is windier, I think you mean...

Glad you are OK. I've been through one twister and watching the sky turn color into what looked to me like bruise on the fourth day was scary in and of itself. It carried such a sense of wrongness and menace, I just wanted to find a shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Big winds know who is windier, I think you mean...
    Well, that too......Ben

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    On a lighter note.. 10 years ago we were hit by a Derecho (like a tornado but not one).. no one was hurt.. totaled the car, put a tree limb through the camper roof and knocked out the power.. the power company guys showed up in less than an hour and informed us that the power would be out for at least four daze.. so I load up all of the gas cans (in the F-350) and head off to find an open gas station.. (5 miles away, looks like nothing happend).. I return with 25 gallons of generator gas and start getting the kitchen TV working on antenna, power strip for neighbor cell phones.. and settling in for life under siege. When alarms go off, the reset the clock alarm on the oven and microwave.. we have power back in less than four hours, not days..

Seems that we (x20 houses) are fed from the west.. the rest of the neighborhood is fed from the east and didn’t have power for four daze..

The 4Runner didn’t see a gas pump for months, I had 25 gallons of gas in cans to use..

Glad that everyone is ok..

All is calming down in Guam. Some power is back on. They had 14" of rain in 12 hours. They spent the entire storm duration mopping water up that was blowing through the sliding door.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I just checked on typhon Mawar----current wind speed is 165 Mph and it is headed toward Taiwan.

I have two typhons in my past, both in the Western Pacific. One aboard ship and one in the air. Both were memorable. On the plane, without warning, the coffee in my hand, sitting on the tray left the cup---as I watched. The coffee, still with the shape of the cup, hoovered about an inch above the cup before falling back in---I don't recall that it spilled a drop

The shipboard experience was truly not one to be repeated in polite company

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    The shipboard experience was truly not one to be repeated in polite company
    At least you enjoyed a steel ship under you...My uncle rode out a memorable typhoon on a 102 foot wooden ship near Okinawa in 1945...Admiral Halsey came near court martial during that period for failure to secure all the ships in his fleet...I recall at least one destroyer going to the bottom of the Pacific at that time......Ben