Thread: How Are We Going To Charge All Those New Electric Cars???

How Are We Going To Charge All Those New Electric Cars???

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

it's time to change the air in my head

Billions of squirrels running on wheels with mini generators hooked to them
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

We need better power generation (e.g., fission/fusion) as well as efficient batteries to store that power.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Does that make it a hybrid?

I wonder if he can charge on the go
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

One of my Nephews has a Tesla. It's a company vehicle. His employer ran the numbers and found it was one of the least expensive vehicles to keep in service. We shall see if that stance pans out. It's got a very simple interior with very few buttons/knobs/etc.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I don't think the problem of charging will be long lasting. Not everyone with a car today will have an electric vehicle, so there will be less of a need for charging in the future. Sustainable urban planning, over the next 100 years, will radically change how cities work, in much the same way the automobile did in the first place. Younger people won't dream of leaving the city for the suburbs and with whatever they need within a 10 block radius, there will be fewer cars on the road.

People in rural areas will still need to get around but I imagine that the main mode will be some sort of self-charging mechanism running off the vehicle's motion or some sort of thing like that. So they won't have to charge fully from a zero charge very often. Fully electric vehicles, for long trips or cold winters, just are not practical. I imagine people in cold areas of the country will end up with hybrids, not full electrics. So that's another group that won't be on the grid all the time needing a charge.

Anyway, I imagine that the number of vehicles needing to be charged all the time is probably going to end up being a lot less than people think of.

At the hospital were my wife currently is---and in the aisle closest to the lobby entrance, there is a row of handicapped spots on the right (maybe 10). On the left side of that aisle are charging spots and restricted to EV's---at least 6 of them.

One day last week I did see one EV parked there---but not plugged in. Today a conventional car was parked there. I think they should have done a bit more research on the potential need.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis