Thread: The Grubb's can't stay out of NYC

The Grubb's can't stay out of NYC

This from our middle son today.

This is taken from Hudson Yards looking south on the Hudson River. The tallest building on the east side of the river is One World Trade Center, to the west side of the river is Jersey City, NJ.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	319.8 KB 
ID:	39586
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

What is the monstrosity in the middle that looks like it was twisted in a tornado?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    What is the monstrosity in the middle that looks like it was twisted in a tornado?......Ben
    I don’t know.. but half way from the twisted building to the new World Trade Center is a square x4 story building out on the end of a pier with another building like it on a pier across the river.. believe those are the air shafts for the Holland Tunnel..

On edit.. the tallest building to the left, east, of WTC.. I believe is 33 Thomas Street.. AT&T international gateway and building reputed to be home to NSA listening equipment.. six large “windows “ on top floor are portals for microwave antenna..

Took the most entertaining bus trip of my life through the downtown WTC area after disembarking from a cruise ship. Wifey and I had an impromptu tour and saw so many amazing buildings and sites.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

i went to N Y C one time with my dad . I think it was 58 or 59 I guess I did not loose anything there because I have never been back and from the looks of things , I never will go back .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    ......... I have never been back and from the looks of things , I never will go back .
    Like a few other states, there is not a chance in hell that I would ever set foot anywhere in the state. Wouldn't even drive through to get somewhere else.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Like a few other states, there is not a chance in hell that I would ever set foot anywhere in the state. Wouldn't even drive through to get somewhere else.
    End of March.. rode Amtrak to New York (3 hours).. spent the weekend and saw two Broadway Shows.. even walked by Trump Towers, weekend before he was processed Downtown.. (witnessed massive $$$ being spent on police and trash truck drivers OT, half dozen trash trucks were standing by to block streets, parked on 5th Avenue in front of a very upscale Presbyterian Church) Had to do matinee both days to get decent seats so no subway rides downtown.. maybe next time..

Great fun.. always a good time.. should really try it.. (best if first trip is with someone who knows their way around)..

There was a time when I harbored my own aversion to NYC, but with time that wore away and now I am very comfortable there

There is an energy to be found there unlike anywhere else I know.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

It's not about things to do or fear of big cities, remember I spent the last ~50 years in Houston.

It's about the politics. I refuse to spend my tourist dollars there, or in a few other states. I'm sure they don't care, probably lots of them refuse to come to Texas for the same reason. I think Texas is better off without them, and them without me.

[on edit]

I didn't go looking for this, it is on the front page of Fox News today. Maybe some of the NYC residents are beginning to see the light:

A report by the U.S. Census Bureau released Thursday estimated more than 468,200 residents left New York City between April 2020 and July 2022, accounting for a 5.3% decrease in the city's population.
    SOURCE

Half-a-million people. By most folk's reckoning that's a bunch!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Last fall we went on a trip across the “Southern Tier” of Upstate New York.. Letchworth, Watkins Glen, Cooperstown..

Cutting across rural upstate we saw more pro Trump and nastier anti-Biden signs than in the south..

Urban areas are generally brighter blue.. (you see it in Houston and Austin).

Hint.. if you do go to NYC Houston Street is pronounced House-ton

BTW.. I believe that Florida politics are crazy wacky.. but I’m planning on going back, maybe all the way to Key West, in January..