Thread: Corn tortillas

Corn tortillas

just about to hit the road for an EMT standby. I decided that Tacos would be my main faire so of course I had to whip up a stack of corn tortillas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230510_203323~2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	432.6 KB 
ID:	39580
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

IMHO - Corn tortillas are the way to go.

In San Jose, my Father and I had a favorite Mexican restaurant that employed local Senoritas to hand make, then fry some of the best tortillas I ever ate. But can I remember the name of it? Nooooooo.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Either off 880 on San Carlos or south down by the fairgrounds is where you would find that.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Good to hear. I miss living there. I was a Senior in High School and was driving a motorcycle every day. Most it ever did was rain on me - and I greatly appreciated the fact it did not freeze.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Good to hear. I miss living there. I was a Senior in High School and was driving a motorcycle every day. Most it ever did was rain on me - and I greatly appreciated the fact it did not freeze.

Hunter
    My tortillas gave their all for a good cause, my belly

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230512_165958a.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	226.9 KB 
ID:	39583

i love and prefer corn tortillas over flour, but i have never tried making them. that will change this coming weekend, tri has inspired me

i looked up several recipes, any advice on prep or recipe changes is very welcome.

the recipe i found and seem to like best for the soul reason that i like alot of their recipes is from Americas test kitchen.

2 C masa harina
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 tsp veg oil (make the dough a bit more user friendly)
    1 1/4 C warm water
    kneed the dough and let rest for 5 or 10 mins, press and cook.
    link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyhsvenqo7M
    it's time to change the air in my head

Quote Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
    i love and prefer corn tortillas over flour, but i have never tried making them. that will change this coming weekend, tri has inspired me

i looked up several recipes, any advice on prep or recipe changes is very welcome.

the recipe i found and seem to like best for the soul reason that i like alot of their recipes is from Americas test kitchen.

2 C masa harina
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 tsp veg oil (make the dough a bit more user friendly)
    1 1/4 C warm water
    kneed the dough and let rest for 5 or 10 mins, press and cook.
    link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyhsvenqo7M
    if you use Maseca corn flour in the white bag you can skip the oil. I add just enough water that the dough is damp but not wet. I used a Kitchenaid mixer with the triangular blade to mix, no hand kneading required. I press it into a big hockey puck (2 cups is going to make about 10 tortillas) so cut the puck into 10 pieces then roll each piece into a ball. I use a victoria cast iron tortilla press and place the dough on a zip lock bag that I cut into two haves one above one below, and press ) Tortilla peels nicely off the zip lock. cook in a dry non stick skillet at medium high heat for 1 minute per side.

Tips: I add a palm full of garlic powder to the corn flour for taste
    Pre heat the skillet, I start heating as soon as I start mixing the masa
    stack the cooked tortillas in a dry kitchen towel that you fold over them as you pull them off the skillet it lets them soften and steam each other
    If the dough balls start to dry out, lightly wet your hands and re-roll the balls
    Last edited by TriGuy; 05-15-2023 at 08:58 AM.

thank you sir!
    it's time to change the air in my head

Corn tortillas are also lower in calories and carbs while being higher in fiber.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

To me the corn tortillas are not only traditional, but I also think they taste the best. At our local Harmon's grocery store, they sell raw and cooked ones.

Hunter