Thread: An ongoing "political" conundrum

An ongoing "political" conundrum

The Texas killer mauricio garcia has been said to be a white supremist, neo-Nazi, antisemitic---to name but a few of his philosophical beliefs. proud boys founder enrique tarrio is another Latino who shares this same philosophy.

So---my conundrum is---how do these (and many more like them) manage to "whitewash" their Latino (and non-white) heritage?

Yesterday I heard an explanation---I'm not sure I buy into it--but here it is:

If they can trace their ancestry back to Spain they then become European (and by default white) in origin and by-pass any conflict by also being white supremist. While that seems weak to me---I guess if you can be as screwed up as these people clearly are---it can work
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I tend to "identify" as human, and give others the benefit of the doubt until proven wrong - as in those two examples......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I've been pondering that myself, Dave. I did a SEARCH and found a lot of articles about the topic.

Here is a quote from a 2017 article on the topic:

Latino white supremacy, it turns out, might not be a contradiction in terms.

Increasingly, Latinos are identifying racially as white. In fact, more than half did so in the 2010 U.S. Census. A March 2016 report from Pew Research Center found that 39% of Afro-Latinos also identified “as white alone or white in combination with another race.” With a current population of around 58 million, Latinos make up the second-largest ethnic group in the U.S., just behind whites.

Another Pew Research Center study from December found that 59% of U.S. adults with Latino heritage who identify as white believe others see them as white, too. Over time, the study found, descendants of Latino immigrants stop identifying with their countries of origin and consider themselves more and more American.
    SOURCE
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Even when transferring ownership of a gun at an FFL, you are required first to say whether you are Hispanic or not, then choose your race......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Lots of Federal forms are like that.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Maybe they are relying on the old "one drop rule"

Trying to understand a sick mind is not the easiest thing to do
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

My paternal great grandmother and her family moved to Texas from Mexico after Pancho Villa showed up and told them they would die if they didn't. For, they were descended from Spanish royalty and owned a lot of property in Chihuahua. To be blunt and coarse, my great grandmother was the whitest Mexican I ever met.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I found a piece from a Houston television commentator on this topic. You might find it interesting.

I do think it's nice of these guys to tattoo swastikas on themselves. Law Enforcement uses them as part of an identification.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    I do think it's nice of these guys to tattoo swastikas on themselves. Law Enforcement uses them as part of an identification.

Hunter
    Isn't that profiling?......Ben

Yes, criminal profiling. Our Jail/Prison Intake Risk & Needs assessments have been validated as accurate.

Hunter