Thread: Try it you might like it

Try it you might like it

Not traveling as I once did has caused me to miss things that were once common for me.

Scandinavians are generally not much into breakfast---a cup of strong coffee and maybe a small pastry is about it. However, in hotels that cater to international guests they all put on a spread for breakfast---and always on the table is fish of various types. Most common are salmon gravlax, smoked salmon, eel and white fish and raw herring in wine sauce and sour cream sauce.

The Dutch are also into raw herring---even to the point of street food vendors in Amsterdam selling whole fishes---often eaten at one go.

So---I was very surprised last week when my wife found a jar of herring in sour cream So this week----I got a jar of herring in wine sauce

....and yes you can be sure tomorrow morning I will have herring with my double strength Sumatra black coffee

That will be a new staple in my refrigerator

...and my friends in Texas---HEB has it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	39573
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

growing up next door to grandma Tinter (moms side) she always had Kipper snacks, smoked whitefish, lox, gefilte fish. in her fridgeand everything in the house was Kosher. They were Orthodox
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

My grocery has smoked white fish spread (in cream cheese) on a regular bases and kippers, which I have in the pantry. Lox, for the most part are above my price point unless I can get the trimmings. Gefilte fish just isn't my cup of tea

For a good selection of excellent smoked fish, I have to go to NYC.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    My grocery has smoked white fish spread (in cream cheese) on a regular bases and kippers, which I have in the pantry. Lox, for the most part are above my price point unless I can get the trimmings. Gefilte fish just isn't my cup of tea

For a good selection of excellent smoked fish, I have to go to NYC.
    the Gefilte fish in stores is crap. Grandma made her own from scratch with purple horseradish sauce. It was firm and not infused/covered in gelatin and that horse radish was hot as hell
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    the Gefilte fish in stores is crap. Grandma made her own from scratch with purple horseradish sauce. It was firm and not infused/covered in gelatin and that horse radish was hot as hell
    I might have enjoyed your Grandma's----the gelatin is one thing that turns me off to Gefilte fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I might have enjoyed your Grandma's----the gelatin is one thing that turns me off to Gefilte fish.
    You are not alone