Thread: Saffron, said to be the world's most expensive spice

Saffron, said to be the world's most expensive spice

...and my friend is growing it!

To my amazement, PA is the center of production in the US. How much is produced---I don't know----but soon there will be more

Saffron can cost upwards of $175/oz and I have heard of some that can rival the price of gold.

What Is Saffron?
    Known as the most expensive spice in the world, saffron is a spice derived from the flower stigmas of the saffron crocus plant—Crocus sativus—a member of the iris family. Native to the Asia Minor region, most saffron (about 85 percent) is now produced in Iran and used for culinary purposes as well as for medicine, dyes, and perfumes. Saffron is also grown in the United States, most notably in Pennsylvania.
    I think I need to give it a try-----I'm a huge fan of paella
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

A little bit will do ya.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

i have not used saffron in years. it has been to expensive to splurge on. as far as i know it is the pistals from a crocus, it must be very time consuming to harvest. it does give an excellent color and a very nice flavor.
    it's time to change the air in my head

I did not know how beautiful the flowers were until I looked it up.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead