Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mean while down in Texas----the fascist governor steps up

Mean while down in Texas----the fascist governor steps up

Texas Senate Approves Bill To Allow Gov. Greg Abbott To Overturn Elections
    What a concept
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I wouldn't trust him with the power to overturn his own wheelchair.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

It's actually probably a good thing, Dave. I just read an article and there is a valid, very restricted, reason to require a new election in the corrupt Harris County if they fail to provide enough ballot paper like they did last time.

I still don't trust Abbott or his cronies, though.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I'm no expert on the Harris County issues-----but this is hardly justified. Fix the damn problem, don't take away peoples rights!
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Unless we are talking about different bills, no rights are taken. It is for a very limited "re-do" in the case of a compromised election.

I agree that the problem needs to be corrected, but I fear that this is as good as it gets under our new Republican party ruled by little Trump wannabes. It's a damn sad state of affairs.

Rights of the voters would be usurped if little Caesar overturns an election because the outcome didn't fit his agenda---or am I missing something?

If we are talking about the same proposed law, you are missing everything. I am on my phone and not typing much tonight.

It the new bill contains a "Back Up Plan" to fix corrupted election results - fine. However, it'll be interesting to see how much power it gives the Gov (et al.) to change those results. I'm assuming if the bill itself is part of a power grab, our SCOTUS will be asked to intercede.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

OK--I'm off to do more reading.

It is all sickening politics, Dave. Save yourself the nausea.

This is from The Hill:

Texas bill allows secretary of state to overturn elections

Texas lawmakers advanced a bill this week that would allow the secretary of state, who is handpicked by the governor, to overturn the results of an election in the state’s largest county and order a new one.

The bill targets Harris County, the largest in the state and the third-largest in the U.S., which includes Houston and has a population of around 4.7 million. It would allow the secretary of state, currently Republican Jane Nelson, to order a new election in the county if 2 percent or more of the polling locations ran out of ballot paper for more than an hour.

Written to apply to counties with a population over 2.7 million — which only applies to Harris County in the state — the bill follows criticism by Republican lawmakers over polling issues in the county in the 2022 midterm elections. It passed the state Senate on Tuesday, and now must be considered in the House.

Democratic-leaning Harris County faced a number of difficulties in the midterm elections, including technical and staffing issues. A Houston Chronicle investigation found that 20 polling locations ran out of paper, and just over half of the affected polling locations were in Republican-leaning areas. It concluded that it was not possible to know how many people were unable to vote due to the issues.
    I think the choice of words is at best not perfect---he can't "overturn" and election he can only call for a new election if the conditions are not met.

This bill isn't perfect, but it is probably the best we can get out of Austin at this time. I think it speaks volumes for the state of our democracy. In fact, it probably speaks to the demise of our democracy.

Dave, you need a little background to understand this bill.

In the 2022 elections, the Democrats who rode to a county wide landslide win on Trump's shoulders, were accused of purposly withholding ballot paper in many precincts. Oddly enough, the ballot paper shortage was most prominent in heavily Republican populated precincts. The voters in these precincts were sent away, and the Democrats won many close contests. Somewhere on the 'net is a couple of very good maps demonstrating this, but I can't find them.

Was it a conspiracy? I think it was. Having worked for nearly 30 years for Harris County politicians, I've seen a lot of shennigans, but nothing like what is going on there now. The place is so corrupt the sewers smell good.

This bill is an attempt to correct "ballot shortage", in Harris County only, by calling a new election in Harris County only.

I doubt that anyone likes the bill, but it is what it is. I'm beginning to think that the only solution to our political mess is a deadly, targeted virus that strikes politicians only!

Thank you for that explanation---that does give me a better understanding and I offer my sympathies

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I doubt that anyone likes the bill, but it is what it is.
    The worst part of it is that it has been deemed necessary at all......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    The worst part of it is that it has been deemed necessary at all......Ben
    Exactly!