Thread: I'm Freakin' Old!

I'm Freakin' Old!

This morning I grabbed a t-shirt that I rarely wear and was wondering if anyone would ask what it meant as I wore it around town. It's almost guaranteed to start a conversation with a kid. Well, about 30 minutes later, and the 3rd person with whom I had any interaction asked the question.

The cashier at the grocery store asked "What does your shirt mean"? The shirt in question is a simple black t-shirt with the inscription in white letters across the chest being "C:\>_". I feel sure all of our members recognize the DOS prompt which now dates us as dinosaurs.

I told the cashier "Wow, you're young! This is called a DOS prompt and was what you used to see on your computer screen before all the pretty windows you see today. All of your commands were typed in at the end of this prompt." That left the cashier in a daze, she couldn't comprehend any of it. To the credit of the sacker, who appeared to be maybe 18 years old, she piped in and said you could still see it if you went into the Windows Command Shell. I was surprised she knew that. I do it frequently as an old timer more comfortable with a command line than a window.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Very interesting that the bagger knew what it was

I had coffee with my best friend this morning---who was once my AA before I moved her up to manager. She "oversaw" my conversion from DOS to Windows---a conversion that I was not all that excited about at the time. I was grateful for her guidance because she was way ahead of me in the process. She was no helicopter tutor---she believed in the value of failure
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Very interesting that the bagger knew what it was .....
    Yeah, I was shocked! Just one sentence out of her said to me that she was wasting her time and intellect in her current job. Of course, there are not too many jobs in a town with a population of 2,275. To reach a more populated town she would have to drive 25-30 minutes each way and there could be a reason she cannot do that.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

All the baggers and cashers at my store in mid to late afternoon are parttime high school kids and I am sorry to say this but most are a waste of air. I am going to talk to the manager about it because I don't see any coaching going on and they aren't going to "get it" without training.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

What's going on may be related to our workforce here as well. With the advent of Covid as well as economic pressures, it's difficult for many businesses to keep trained employees. We have had an unprecedented retirement of workers, many of whom did not want to return to their former site jobs. The lack of job seekers also kept unemployment figures down.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead