Thread: YO Ben

YO Ben

Look at the barrel and tell me what it is worth .

https://bid.lawlerauction.com/auctio...19-5-s-auw6604 or should I just
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Left in a holster for too long without proper maintenance. It's not just the barrel with issues, the frame and cylinder appear to be compromised, as well. Personally, I wouldn't give $25.00 for it. Ben's expertise may say otherwise.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

It's a 19-5 so it never had any collector value (earlier Model 19's are more sought after)...If it checks out mechanically, it should make an OK shooter...Refinishing it will not increase its value at all...It would probably make a decent glovebox gun (although I don't encourage anyone to leave a gun in an unattended vehicle)...The grips are worth $50-75, and the gun shouldn't sell for more than maybe $300 in that pawn shop, so the buyer might be able to trade the grips for a $10 pair of used rubber Pachmayr grips and a box of ammo...Around here it would be hard to sell at all......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

More or less what I
    was thinking . But , it is always nice to get a professional opinion .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    More or less what I
    was thinking . But , it is always nice to get a professional opinion .
    I'm not a professional anymore, and I haven't slept in a Holiday Inn in decades......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Attempted to see what its bid results are - but failed.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

When I began collecting guns as an investment I promised myself to always buy "perfect and original" guns and I am glad that I did. Trying to recover that sad piece would be a study in financial foolery. I'd be hard pressed to even think of $300 for that unfortunate piece.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

During firearms training when I was in the police academy, the instructors liked to tell tales about "the old days" before annual firearms qualifications became mandatory. It seems that during rare inspections it was not uncommon to find an old timer whose handgun was so corroded it was seized to the holster it had been so long since it was removed. There were also instances of the cylinder being frozen in place due to corrosion of the ammo. It's a damn good thing those cops never needed their firearms.

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Attempted to see what its bid results are - but failed.

Hunter
    It looks like the current (and starting) bid is $5.00. The auction runs until 5/4/2023 @ 6:37:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    During firearms training when I was in the police academy, the instructors liked to tell tales about "the old days" before annual firearms qualifications became mandatory. It seems that during rare inspections it was not uncommon to find an old timer whose handgun was so corroded it was seized to the holster it had been so long since it was removed. There were also instances of the cylinder being frozen in place due to corrosion of the ammo. It's a damn good thing those cops never needed their firearms.

Different day different time

Unrelated, but of interest to me are mussel loading, percussion cap rifles found on the battle field at Gettysburg:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	70 
Size:	238.2 KB 
ID:	39544

In the emotion of the battle they were not even aware that their rifle had not fired
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Dave, I found your post of vast interest. It caused me to think of the state of mind of these soldiers who would load, reload and reload again without firing a shot. What hell they must have been in at the time! It caused me to search for more information on these men and these firearms. I may have found more than I want to know, but surely more than enough reading material to keep me busy for a while. Anyone interested can find what I found HERE

Man, I've never been to Gettysburg but intend to do so in the next few years. Excellent links and information provided, guys.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    What hell they must have been in at the time!
    Exactly! I have spent many many hours sitting at various places in and around the battle field just painting the mental picture of the horrors that occurred there

It is best to study the battle before visiting, it will make your trip far more rewarding.

I have a very good friend who's undergrad degree is in history and he is particularly interested in the Civil War in general and Gettysburg in particular since his great uncle was wounded there. He passed the test to be a guide but never followed through with doing that---except for me---I have benefited greatly and we spend a long weekend every few years.