Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump Indicted in NY

Trump Indicted in NY

A new chapter in our history, I wonder what happens next:

A grand jury in Manhattan has voted to indict Donald Trump, according to three sources familiar with the matter – the first time in American history that a current or former president will face criminal charges.

The Manhattan district attorney’s office has been investigating the former president in connection with his alleged role in a hush money payment scheme and cover-up involving adult film star Stormy Daniels that dates to the 2016 presidential election.
    DALLAS, TEXAS - AUGUST 06: Former U.S. President Donald Trump speaks at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) at the Hilton Anatole on August 06, 2022 in Dallas, Texas. CPAC began in 1974, and is a conference that brings together and hosts conservative organizations, activists, and world leaders in discussing current events and future political agendas. (Photo by Brandon Bell/Getty Images)

Manhattan grand jury votes to indict Trump, sources tell CNN

The decision is sure to send shockwaves across the country, pushing the American political system – which has never seen one of its ex-leaders confronted with criminal charges, let alone while running again for president – into uncharted waters.
    SOURCE
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

From Rolling Stone:

A Manhattan grand jury has voted to indict Donald Trump on charges related to the former president’s hush-money payment to adult film actress Stormy Daniels ahead of the 2016 election, Rolling Stone has confirmed. The New York Times was the first to report the news.

The historic indictment was highly anticipated, as details of Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s probe into the former president became public in recent weeks.

Earlier this month, Bragg’s office gave Trump the option to testify before the grand jury, signaling an indictment was forthcoming. Trump declined the invitation. Fox News reported that Manhattan prosecutors had requested a meeting with law enforcement to discuss logistics surrounding the possible indictment, and Trump posted to Truth Social the following morning that he would be getting arrested in the coming days.

The indictment is a gut-check for the American legal system, testing the bedrock principle that “no one is above the law.” It is also unprecedented. Trump is the first former president to face criminal prosecution in the history of the United States. (Though culpability was not in doubt, Richard Nixon was pardoned for his Watergate crimes before he could face the justice system.)
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

OK , Who is making the popcorn . This is going to be a circus .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Wow! I just got off a long conference call and history has been made while I was on the phone

May this be the first of many-----and may the roar of "lock him up" ring in his orange ears

The SOB has done more to damage the Government of this country and the Republican party than anyone in our history.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    OK , Who is making the popcorn . This is going to be a circus .
    I fear you are correct, IV. I never really expected this to happen in NY, and I don't see him being convicted there, either. Not on this.

Georgia probably has a much better case.

Let the s*** show begin.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Let the s*** show begin.
    Good to see you, Tom! And, I suspect you are correct in your assessment.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    A couple of people on NBC repeated that they predict this will boil down to tax fraud.. hush $$$ was on the books as legal fees.. also real estate tax issues..

A Stormy Daniel crime sounds so much better than tax fraud..

We shall see..

Hummm , The law says you shall be tried by a jury of your peers . Just where are they gonna get 12 Ex Presidents ? . I'll even drop down to 12 multi millionaires . Just how many of them will sit in the jury box for two or three weeks ?.

peer2
    noun

: equal, fellow, coworker, match, like, rival; French confrère; rare compeer, co-equal.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    Hummm , The law says you shall be tried by a jury of your peers . Just where are they gonna get 12 Ex Presidents ? . I'll even drop down to 12 multi millionaires . Just how many of them will sit in the jury box for two or three weeks ?.

peer2
    noun

: equal, fellow, coworker, match, like, rival; French confrère; rare compeer, co-equal.
    how hard can it be to find 12 con men in NYC?
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    how hard can it be to find 12 con men in NYC?
    You 12 guys waiting for the bus!...Yes you!!...Take seats here, and raise your right hand......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    You 12 guys waiting for the bus!...Yes you!!...Take seats here, and raise your right hand......Ben
    Having my office in a courthouse, I actually saw something similar happen multiple times over the years. When not enough summoned folks showed up for jury duty, the judges would order the bailiffs to go out into the hallways and bring back however many folks the judge wanted in the pool. Lot's of pissed off folks on those juries!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Lot's of pissed off folks on those juries!
    Yeah, but they got $6 they wouldn't have got otherwise......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

My hope, along with many Americans, is we do not see violence and civil disobedience as our Justice system does its job. We need #45 to shut up and NOT incite his followers. But, I doubt he will listen to people like us.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

He is incapable of concern for anything or anyone other than himself.
    I wish the first indictment was stronger but it is what it is.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis