Thread: One of my more recent ancestors

One of my more recent ancestors

I happened to "run into" Nathaniel B. Grubb again yesterday.

I first became aware of him a few year ago---and each time that I encounter him I learn more. One of the things that escapes me is how I did not know about him years ago (or did I simply forget?).

The thing so questionable to me is that he was on the board of Perkiomen School for 18 years---which is the school I graduated from in 1962

He was also instrumental in founding the Mennonite retirement community only about 6 miles away. Just to keep him out of trouble in his spare time he was also a member of the board of trustees of Bethel College, North Newton, Kansas, for six years. How long might it have taken for him to attend a board meeting

My wife, who is facing yet another back operation at the University of Penn---this one the most serious of the many that she has had is "planning ahead" Yesterday she took me to look at a retirement home which is a Brethren (very close to Mennonite) community. They were
    'hosting" a sales presentation. I'm afraid that when we got there I could not go in. I was unprepared for the impact that had on me. Driving through the "community" I actually got sick to my stomach----I was thinking this is were people come to die I'm not afraid of dying but I don't need to rush into it either The thought of being surrounded by all those old people wasn't going over well. My wife went to the presentation, I stayed in the car and watched the old people being old

The next stop will be the Mennonite Community founded by my ancestor

My Mennonite roots seem to always invite me back
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

My family has placed my Mother in an assisted living center to keep her alive. On her own, she wasn't eating enough and skimped on meds. At times I feel as you do, Dave - that we're awaiting death. But, Mom really does like where she's at - which gives us hope her last days will be fine.

Sometimes we can only take our best shot and hope things work out. I doubt other critters on earth do this. It's part of what makes us Human and humane.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead