Thread: It does not feel like 50 years ago in my mind

It does not feel like 50 years ago in my mind

SAIGON, South Vietnam, March 29—The last American troops left South Vietnam today, leaving behind an unfinished war that has deeply scarred this country and the United States.

There was little emotion or joy as they brought to a close almost a decade of American military intervention.

Remaining after the final jet transport lifted off from Tan Son Nhut air base at 5:53 P.M. were about 800 Americans on the truce observation force who will leave tomorrow and Saturday. A contingent of 159 Marine guards and about 50 military attachés also stayed behind.

The fighting men were gone, but United States involvement in South Vietnam was far from ended.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I have been to Vietnam and crawled through the Cu Chi tunnels (they did away with the tunnel restrictions that Americans couldn't squeeze their fat butts through).

Seeing what the Viet Cong lived through to fight us convinced me we could not win that war. Most of the VC weren't even paid to fight - and yet they did. I still recall the haunting photo released by the White House - showing President Johnson hanging his head, due to emotional pain, while talking to his SIL in Vietnam.

It's like stepping back in time to be in Vietnam. They've kept EVERYTHING left by us - for example, using our deuce and a half trucks on the docks of Saigon. And, they have working weapons (including machine guns) you can shoot at ranges. I was surprised, and saddened, by all of the Vietnamese people who were missing arms and legs around me. Many of those crippled were beggars. Surprisingly (for me) was how pleasant the people were. It's as if they simply went on with their lives without considering politics or who we (Americans) were. And, if you had money, literally everything was for sale.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead