Thread: No Need to Speak or Read English for Police and Fire

No Need to Speak or Read English for Police and Fire

Here we go again, Democrats trying to water down everything in America, except taxes.

Democrats are close to passing a bill that strikes a requirement that some civil service employees can read and write in English. SB 5274 ditches the English language requirement for city firefighter, police, or sheriff’s office positions. The same is true for fish and wildlife officer positions.
    MIME HERE

Maybe they can use dogs for interpreters. No, wait, they don't like dogs, either.

Edited to repair link.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

That seems ripe for spin---fox spin

I do understand the drive to remove English literacy from the admittance testing----anyone who has tried to hire in the last few years would understand that. The said, I find it hard to believe that there would not be English literacy training as part of their total training. Without that, they are risking a safety issue that I wouldn't even want to imagine
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Well, Dave, you are right - this does have tremendous spin value. It sucked me in even though the article clearly says that they are "removing the requirement" to speak, read and right the English language. I somehow twisted that into a must hire command. I discovered that when I went to the Washington Legislature's webpage and read the actual bill which states:

must be a citizen of the United 6States of America or a lawful permanent resident [the following inside the double parenthesis is struck through in the original text] ((who can read and write the English language)).
    All they are doing is eliminating a requirement for the positions, not commanding that those applicants be hired. I don't see any right-minded person hiring someone who lacks these skills, so no big deal here. I think they are just trying to avoid a discrimination lawsuit for the state, and leaving that for the local official.

Many years ago, the State of Texas similarly removed the requirement of being a U.S. Citizen from peace officer qualifications. It was done so that the state couldn't be sued for discriminating against non-citizens. It didn't mean we had to hire them, just that the state wasn't restricting them.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Who in the hell needs AI to spin when we already have fox spinning away?
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I see my link didn't work.

It wasn't Fox this time, I try to avoid them as long as they continue to employ Carlson. The link was supposed to go to Washington RADIO STATION.