Thread: Stir fry

Stir fry

Some firsts for me last night that worked well:

1. I used an 18oz flatiron steak cut across the grain in 3/8" wide strips and then marinated for about an hour in Soy, Oyster, and Hoisin sauces with chopped garlic. That was both tender and very flavorful. I will use that again as well as for fajitas.

2. I was forced to use some frozen veggies and to reduce the water I put them into a colander about 2 hours ahead of time to drain as much water off as possible---it worked but fresh veggies would have been better.

3. I "integrated" cooked thin Amish egg noodles at the end of cooking. There were no racial problems
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Home made Beef Chow Mein is what you made. Very tasty
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Not really, the similarity to Chow Mein was primarily the veggies and soy sauce, common to a host of Asian dishes.

My real reason to post this was to share what I learned. I wasn't trying to duplicate any specific dish--if that had been the case I would have at least looked at a recipe. The flat iron steak was a cut I had never used before and I found it both economical and agreeable. Dewatering of the veggies worked better than anything I have tried in the past and is something I will surely do again.

As for the noodles---the Amish noodles were only mentioned for fun
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 03-23-2023 at 04:04 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

my Wok Chow Mein

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230223_174640.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	335.5 KB 
ID:	39516
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

"...share what I learned."
    - Dave

Which you and TG have done well. Cooking neophytes like me pay attention and read your posts (though we don't always comment).

Thank you, my friends.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

You're welcome

I made a similar dish tonight with crab and shrimp (lent). I improved the draining process. About noon I put the frozen veggies into a strainer along with the water chestnuts and bamboo shoots and let them drain into a pan. I stirred them once during the afternoon. The strainer seemed to drain even better than the colander I used previously. I also used fresh snow peas. The result was excellent---no excess liquid at all in the pan.