Thread: A timely article regarding AI and a need to slow down

A timely article regarding AI and a need to slow down

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I've been noticing the sudden, rapid advancement in AI. Just yesterday, I received an invitation from Google to try their new AI called "Bard". I think I have also received an invitation from another company, too, but I don't remember the company.

And, yes, as the above article states, it is worrisome. I posted another thread a few days ago with some of the same worries as Dave's post above, The Genie Escapes.

In my mind, AI is just as dangerous as nuclear weapons science, but even harder to control. In fact, it cannot be controlled, regardless of what the Vox article above says. That genie is already loose and can be found on the dark web in the hands of the most unscrupulous people on Earth. High school computer whizzes now have all of the tools they need to create some nasty stuff.

I read until reaching the section titled "Objection One...." and had to stop in the middle. The author obviously lives in a world unlike mine. In her world all you need do is ask nicely and progress on AI will willingly be slowed or even stopped for a while. In my world, competition reigns and there is no way asking will work. Bad actors inhabit my world, and they will simply sneer and continue development and use it against the rest of us. Kind of like nuclear technology - think Iran, North Korea and others.

The times, they are a-changin, folks! Real change that we may not be able to control.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I can't agree more---if we try to slow down it will only apply to the "good" guys----the rest will open a big gap as we linger
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis