Thread: Police Use Of Canines To Be Banned In California???

Police Use Of Canines To Be Banned In California???

Once again, fools have taken the stage in California. The really sad thing is they will probably find enough support to pass the bill. Do these people have any idea how many cops and everyday citizens are going to be hurt or killed because of their ban???

Two California lawmakers have introduced a bill that would ban the use of police canines for arrests, apprehensions and crowd control, saying officers have long targeted and brutalized Americans of color with police dogs.

Assembly members Corey Jackson (D-Perris) and Ash Kalra (D-San Jose) introduced AB 742 to “end a deeply racialized and harmful practice that has been a mainstay in America’s history of racial bias and violence against Black Americans and people of color,” according to a news release.

“The use of police canines has inflicted brutal violence and lifelong trauma on Black Americans and communities of color,” Jackson said in the release. “This bill marks a turning point in the fight to end this cruel and inhumane practice and build trust between the police and the communities they serve.”
    SOURCE

Now, I don't know why California cops would single out minorities on which to unleash their canine partners, it makes no sense to me because my department is totally equal opportunity when it comes to the use of our canines. We don't care at all what race, gender, ethnicity or anything else about what defines a suspect. If they meet the written standards for canine deployment, they better surrender or expect to meet one of our canine partners up close and personal.

[on edit]

I wonder if they have any idea how many suspects are still alive due to being apprehended by a canine rather than deadly force? Take away the dog and the guns will be used more frequently. That seems like a really bad trade.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

The inmates are now in charge of the prison......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

It's not the dogs being sicced on people that's the problem - it's the officers utilizing canines inappropriately. Dogs arent racist but, unfortunately, some officers are.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    It's not the dogs being sicced on people that's the problem - it's the officers utilizing canines inappropriately. Dogs arent racist but, unfortunately, some officers are.

Hunter

Oh! Now I understand!

Let's just go ahead and make a clean sweep of it then, no need to drag things out!

Ban the use of pepper spray because some officers are racist.
    Ban the use of tasers because some officers are racist.
    Ban the use of batons because some officers are racist.
    Ban the use of shotguns because some officers are racist.
    Ban the use of rifles because some officers are racist.
    Ban the use of handguns because some officers are racist.
    Ban the use of negotiators because some officers are racist.
    Ban the use of motor vehicles because some officers are racist.
    Ban the use of bicycles because some officers are racist.
    Quit writing citations because some officers are racist.
    Quit making arrests because some officers are racist.
    Hell, let's just get rid of law enforcement entirely because some officers are racist.

Don't you think it would make a hell of a lot more sense to actively seek out and remove racist police officers?

Do you not have regulations in your area that require use of force reports every time a canine is deployed? Do you not have review boards that examine the appropriateness of the canine being deployed?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

All political movements go through phases, from conception to group norming to action, and then evolve into the post-action stage, where theatricality substitutes for action and serves to maintain group cohesion. This is signaling behavior, not really expected to become law. These people are in the theatricality phase and as such, this proposal is really only designed to provoke discussion and show themselves to be good members of their group. Think ballot box, not signing ceremonies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Don't you think it would make a hell of a lot more sense to actively seek out and remove racist police officers?
    Yes, Mike, I do.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead