Thread: Someone to watch

Someone to watch

I am liking what I see.

New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu (R) criticized fellow Republicans, including former President Trump and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, for their increasingly isolationist views on the war in Ukraine, writing in an op-ed that opposing U.S. aid “is not a viable foreign policy.”

“Simply opposing aid to Ukraine because President Biden supports it is not a viable foreign policy,” Sununu, who is mulling a potential presidential run, wrote in The New York Times. “To abandon Ukraine would set off a negative chain of events for U.S. interests domestically and abroad.”

Sununu’s targeting of the rising tide of anti-Ukrainian sentiment in the Republican Party comes after Trump and DeSantis made comments in the past weeks that have stirred controversy on the issue.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Although it looks a little out dated, OnThe Issues presents a mixed bag to me. I could probably live with him if he runs.

Speaking of running, look for Republican candidates to come out of the woodwork if Trump is indicted. I suspect some are just waiting to see what happens with his legal problems and others will see it as an opportunity.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Speaking of running, look for Republican candidates to come out of the woodwork if Trump is indicted. I suspect some are just waiting to see what happens with his legal problems and others will see it as an opportunity.
    I'm only interested in those ready and able to lead the nation now, and not just waiting for the light of opportunism to flash briefly......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I'm only interested in those ready and able to lead the nation now, and not just waiting for the light of opportunism to flash briefly......Ben
    Some might be willing and able, but not willing to take on Trump's juggernaut. Going head to head with him will be like David, with one hand tied behind his back, taking on Goliath. Without divine intervention, the outcome is very predictable. Other than egomaniacs, why would anyone want to play that game?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Man, I'm getting tired of waiting for a good, clean, strong Independent to rise up we can support. Perhaps Sununu will be such a politician (yes, such a Republican would do as well).

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Hmmmm...
    Unlike other moderate Northeast Republican governors, like Charlie Baker, Larry Hogan, or Phil Scott, all of whom chose not to support President Trump for reelection in 2020, Sununu did, and voted for him. He revealed in May 2019 that former Massachusetts governor Bill Weld approached him to discuss a potential primary challenge to Trump in 2020, but Sununu described himself as a "Trump guy through and through." But in the aftermath of Trump's attempts to overturn the 2020 election, Sununu accepted Joe Biden's victory, and he has since become critical of Trump, once calling him "****ing crazy". But Sununu has said he will still vote for Trump if he is the Republican nominee for president in 2024.
    He's sounding like a politician here......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

The bastards are everywhere

...adding to the manure pile is mr no balls himself, pence:

“The idea of indicting a former president of the United States is deeply troubling to me as it is to tens of millions of Americans and, particularly, happening in what appears to be a politically charged environment in New York where the Attorney General and other elected officials literally campaigned on a pledge to prosecute [former president Trump],” Pence said.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis