Thread: Very Satisfying Photo

Very Satisfying Photo

A country store in Hurdle Mills, North Carolina USA, 1939.

I find this picture to defy my labeling it. From the signs, to the rocks holding up the front porch, to the barefoot little girl, and on and on, it is all at once interesting, busy, satisfying, historical, and mesmerizing. I've been looking at if for several minutes and I'm not done. I will probably come back and look at it some more over the coming days.

SOURCE
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

And a colorized version of the same store.

There is just so much to see! Chicken cage under the store on the left side. Gasoline level in the visible gas pump, I'm guessing kerosene pump on the right.

SOURCE
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

That reminds me of Mr. Coley's store about a mile down the road from my grandparents' Arkansas farm...He had a soft drink cooler on the front porch that we had to put a nickel in to slide our Grapettes past the lock...If we drank it there, we left the bottles in the wire rack...If we took them with us, we paid an extra penny which we got back when we returned the bottles...When the ice man delivered the ice in the morning he topped off the cooler with crushed ice......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

It does seem odd we can no longer return/recycle a Coke bottle. I know it can be done in some cities - but not here. I do like it when they sell Mexican-made Coke - which is still made with lots of sugar. Mmmm...

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I think Sam's Club sells it.

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    It does seem odd we can no longer return/recycle a Coke bottle.......Hunter
    That's how I put gas in my Sears branded Vespa back in the '60s. I would ride along the road picking up bottles until I had enough to buy a quarter or so worth of gas and trade them at the gas station. I think they were bringing 2 or 3 cents at the time and gas was about 25 cents a gallon.

Feed sack dress.

Old Gold cigarettes - unfiltered. My grandmother used to send my father down to the gas station at the end of their road to buy them for her. She'd light the next one with the burning ember of the previous one and often the ash flavored whatever she was cooking. Four packs a day. Killed her.

I remember all those advertising slogans - "I'd rather fight than switch" and "I'd walk a mile for a Camel". Haven't seen them in 50 years but I remember them. Guess it pays to advertise.

I remember the jingles, they pop in my head every now and then.

Follow the money

If you took down the signs for plug tobacco, leaf tobacco, snuff, cigarettes, and soda that wall would be barren.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I noticed that too, Dave.

Nowadays, at least in Texas, the signage is on the inside of the stop & robs, and it is mostly related to alcohol. It is not allowed to be seen from the outside of the store, but that is not enforced at all. As far as I know, there is not a gas station in Texas that meets that requirement. I wonder if that is one of the laws that the courts have overturned.

[on edit]

I looked it up, the Texas law prohibits alcohol advertisement signs on the outside of the retailer's building and, within 5 feet of the exterior wall inside of the building where they could be seen from the outside.